Lights Out

Baekhyun's POV

The warmth of Aera's hands made my heart do gymnastics inside. Why was I feeling this way? It wasn't like as though we've never touched each other before yet; it somewhat felt different this time. I felt protection and truth from her touch. Like she would stick by whatever she said and would always be there for me. I smiled at Aera and nodded, taking her hands in mine and squeezing them as a sign of gratitude.

"When you lift your head
Smile for me
So you can forget your pain

So you can fall asleep
With the small but precious memories"

I sang as I put Aera to sleep while caressing her hair. Her eyes slowly closed as she listened to my voice and soon, she was in deep slumber. I could tell because of her cute snoring. Wait, did I just call her snoring "cute"? I chuckled at my own thoughts and continued looking at her. "Nah, it's probably because I see her like a little sister," I told myself internally.

At that moment, I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. I gave Aera a quick peck on the forehead and went out of the room to answer the call. Hold on, why did I just kiss her forehead? "Sister. She is like a sister you've never had and you love her so you gave her a peck as a brotherly gesture. Yeah, like how dads give their kids kisses," I convinced myself once again. I shook my thoughts away and picked up my phone.

"Baekhyunnie! What are you doing?" Wow, never would I have known that I'd hate this voice so much before today. That nickname with her annoying tone was going to make me puke for some reason.

"Hey Se Na, I'm not doing anything now. What's up?" I answered with the brightest voice I could make.

"Did you forget that we have a date tomorrow? You didn't update me on where we're gonna eat so I've found a place where we could have lunch. I've been wanting to try the food there!" She exclaimed excitedly. Oh yeah, I had a date with the devil.

"Of course I didn't forget. Text me the address, I'll meet you there tomorrow."

"Okay! See you Baekhyunnie!" And with that, she hung up. I went back home that night and prepared what to do to win her heart.

The next day, I met Se Na outside of the restaurant. She smiled with glee as she wrapped her arms around my waist. Wow, she must be really experienced to be able to just hug like that despite it being just an act. I hugged her back and opened the door for her to enter like a gentleman. I also pulled out her seat and pushed it back in once she sat down. I complimented on her dress and made her feel like the centre of attention. She seemed to like it, seeing how she blushed. If she could fake blushing, she should become an actress already.

We began sharing about our personal lives, well, Se Na was the one doing most of the talking. I just sat there, listening to her blabbering away. Whenever she asked me a question, she wouldn't even give me a second to say anything. Instead, she would start answering it with her own experience. Not that I was complaining though, I didn't really want her to know about my personal life anyway. She started talking about her family and how they owned a Mercedes-Benz car and a huge mansion. Yes, she was rich. I am quite rich too but my family is more humble. We bought a house in the neighbourhood where Aera's apartment is as it was a quiet place and near school. We never really needed a car but we had one just in case. My family believed in spending money only on what we needed and donating the rest to the poor, which I am proud to believe in and follow. Se Na probably knew about my wealthy family because the entire school knew. Only rich kids were popular and I never liked that fact. That was why I never really hanged out with anyone except my close friends Aera and Chanyeol until Se Na came along.

"By the way, you know Cho Aera, right?" Se Na asked and her question actually caught my attention this time. Surprisingly, she was actually waiting for my answer.

"Yeah, she's my best friend."

"Ahh... a best friend... I see. I always see you hang out with her so I thought you had a crush on her. How long have you two known each other?" Why was she so interested in my relationship with Aera?

"I've known her since the first year in high school. Why?"

"Oh, that's not very long. I thought you two were like childhood friends. Then I guess it would be alright with you if you don't really talk to her anymore, right?" Her words made me speechless. Did she just ask me to break off my relationship with my best friend?

"Sorry but, I don't think I can do that. She is one of the most important people in my life so I can't just leave her like that."

"Oh... I guess you don't really love me as much as you love Aera huh? You're choosing another girl over me." I wanted to just walk out of the restaurant and never see her face again. How could she make me choose between her and my best friend? This must've been part of her plan to make me miserable after we break up. After all, she saw how close Aera and I were. Having her gone when I need her the most would make me groundbreakingly depressed. Her next sentence made me even more stunt.

"If you don't stop talking to her, I'll break up with you." Honestly, I didn't mind breaking up with her right then and there. It would make her speechless if I just broke up with her like it was nothing since she thinks that I'm still hopelessly "in love" with her. But on the other hand, breaking up now would ruin my plan of revenge. I really want Se Na to get a taste of her own medicine.

"Okay, I'll tell Aera to not talk to me anymore. But, give me three days, alright?" I asked and I swear I saw Se Na smirk for a slight second before she changed it to a wide grin.

"Alright, Baekhyunnie! As long as she stops disturbing you from Monday onwards. I really don't like other girls being so close to you, especially Cho Aera." I took her hand and kissed it. "I would do whatever you say, princess."

After lunch, she waved me goodbye and got in the back of her fancy car. She told her driver to roll down the window and told me, "See you tomorrow at school!" I nodded with a little smile and she went off, although I knew that I wouldn't see her the following day. Her face was so red when I called her "princess" earlier as we left the restaurant. It's perfect because that meant that my plan was beginning to work. I, of course, wasn't going to actually break my friendship with Aera. Instead, I'm going to show off my acting skills.

I wasn't going to go to school as I wanted to spend the entire day with my best friend. In addition, I wanted to help her with her sisters' funeral. I decided to ask my parents if they could help with it that night and they agreed without any hesitation. They've known Aera since we were in high school and they really like her. They treat her like a daughter they've never had. My mom would always say that she was such a sweet girl because she would help her whenever she came over. My dad liked her personality because whenever we ate together, Aera would never fail to make my old man laugh. My parents gave me the green light to get off from school and said that they would explain everything to our teacher. I thanked them and went off to bed, thinking about all the fun things I was going to do with Aera the coming day.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Now you're not alone

Don't feel lonely anymore

Morning will come again

So you can peacefully smile

At the end of this sadness

Just turn off the lights today"