Baby Don't Cry

Aera's POV

I was looking out at the empty field in our school from the window at my desk. I had called Baekhyun to meet me here so that I could tell him my feelings. Yes, I know I have said before that I was going to hide it forever but I could not just let him go like that, not without at least trying. I thought of confessing after sitting in class and writing in my diary. When I realised that Baekhyun was my best friend and first love, I made my mind up. I was going to confess and if he doesn't reciprocate my feelings, I'll give my all to make him be my best friend again.

As I was waiting for him, I heard my phone vibrating on my desk and it was from an unknown number. I answered it.

"Hello, is this Cho Aera, the youngest sister of Cho Areum and Cho Ara?"

"Yes, may I know why?"

"I'm sorry but... your sisters got into a car accident and are in Seoul Hospital right now."

"WHAT?!"

"They are in the operating room. Can you come over?"

"Okay, I'm on my way." I hastily ended the call and stood up, grabbing my bag and stuffing my diary back inside. I then heard Baekhyun behind me, seems like he just arrived. He asked if something happened and I told him that my sisters got into an accident.

"Sorry but, I'll tell you about what I wanted to say next time. I need to go to the hospital now," I told him and scurried out of the classroom. When I reached the school carpark, I felt a hand grab my wrist, stopping me from running. I turned around to see a panting Baekhyun as he held his car keys out to my face. "I'll drive you, come on."

I reached outside the operating room where my sisters were and Baekhyun followed behind me. I tried to look through the window on the door but of course, it was covered. I began to tear up as I realise that the worst could happen. I could lose my sisters, my only guardians left. I fell onto my knees and started wailing, chanting, "No, no, no. This can't be happening please..."

Baekhyun saw me fall and quickly grabbed my shoulders to pull me up and place me on a chair. I held my head with both hands and continued crying. He then pulled me into his arms, making my face fall onto his chest. I felt warmth. I felt comfort. I felt safe. Baekhyun always made me feel this way even when I'm at my worst. No wonder I fell in love with him.

A few hours passed and I was just sitting outside the operating room, waiting. I couldn't do anything but stare at the doors, hoping and praying that my sisters would be alright. Baekhyun had come back after buying some bread for me to eat from a nearby bakery. However, I just rejected his offer as I had no appetite. He sighed and sat beside me, reassuring me again and again that everything would be alright.

At that moment, the doors I had so longed to open, finally revealed a surgeon exiting as he took off his mask. I rushed to him, stumbling a little, and Baekhyun was right behind me. When I asked how were my sisters, he didn't say a word. All he did was shake his head. This one small action made me stunt. I stared at the operating room doors. All of my memories with my sisters came flooding into my mind. Baekhyun was patting my shoulder saying something, but I could not process anything he said. Not being able to take it anymore, I ran away. Out from the waiting room, from the hospital, all the way to a nearby park. I sat on a bench and began letting everything out. I couldn't believe it. I started trying to call my sisters' handphones but of course, to no avail. They were gone, they were really gone. This made me face reality and cry even more. I ran away because I wanted to be alone, to be disconnected from the world, to be away from everybody. I just wanted to do nothing and cry until I couldn't anymore.

I was wailing my heart out when I heard a familiar voice calling out my name. It was Baekhyun. He came and embraced me, comforting me once again. I began to shed tears onto his t-shirt but he didn't care the slightest bit. Instead, he held me tighter and caressed my back. His consoling hug was enough for me to feel better after a few minutes. I pulled apart from him but he still held onto my arms. He seemed worried that I was going to fall backwards. I did feel like I was going to do that. I felt so weak, so vulnerable, so hopeless. I started feeling sleepy, dizzy and exhausted. Suddenly, I blacked out and fell into Baekhyun's arms.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"It's not you who will

Become short-lived

So Baby don't cry, cry

Because my love will protect you"