Waking Up

A couple of days had passed since I started being aware of what was going on around me, but I still couldn't open my eyes or speak. I was trying to fight the darkness that surrounded me, without any luck though. Spencer never left my side. I wish that I could tell him to go get some rest. That evening he came next to me and grabbed my hand.

"Hey, Nic...I know that you're in a comma, but can you hear me? Squeez my hand if you do" he said calmly. I could tell that he had been crying from his hoarse voice.

I tried my best to move my hand and...I did it! I squeezed his hand softly.

He was silent for a while. I started to get worried, so I squeezed his hand one more time, harder than before.

"Oh...oh God, even when you're in a comma, you still tell me to pull it together" he said nervously.

I couldn't help but chuckle in my mind. He always understood.

"I just wanted to tell you that...I love you, Nicole Jones. It might have taken me some time to realise it, but I finally did. And I want you to promise me that you'll wake up" he said in a soft whisper. "Can you promise me that?" he asked me.

I squeezed his hand once again. I will do my best.

2 Days Later

I finally managed to open my eyes. Everything was blurry at first, but I managed to focus on the figure next to me. Spencer was asleep on an armchair close to my bed. My bed...well, it had been my bed for the last few days.

"Spencer..." I said in a weak voice. "Spencer!" I said a bit louder.

His head shot up and his eyes quickly found mine. He quickly got up from his seat and pulled me into a tight embrace. He burried his head on the crook of my neck and took a deep breath. "That's the last time Hotch sends you to persuade a suspect to surrender" he whispered.

I giggled. "Well, it seems like my abilities on this category are limitted" I admitted.

There's an agonizing silence for a few minutes. We just sit there, hugging each other.

"Promise me you'll never let this happen again" he says softly.

"It's not like I could've done anything else, Spencer. It's the job, you know it better than me. Speaking of which, where's the rest of the team?" I ask him.

"They're in Orlando with a case" he replied as he finally pulled back from our embrace.

"Already?! How long was I sleeping?" I questioned.

"5 days".

"Oh...that explains it. But why aren't you with them?" I asked, confused once again.

"Because somebody" he says and glares at me, "was stupid enough to get shot".

"HEY!" I shout and smack him on the head.

He just giggles and stares at me affectionatelly, before his smile fades and he looks at me with sadness filing his eyes.

"There's something you're not telling me" I said. His face was smiling, but his eyes never lied.

He sighs in defeat, before saying: "Strauss fired me".

"SHE DID WHAT?!" I scream and get on a sitting position. I wince in pain. Perhaps shouting after getting shot at the neck and loosing a ton of blood wasn't the greatest idea. Spencer sees it and gently pushes me down on the bed.

"Nic, calm down" he says.

"How can I calm down?! That bitch..." I mutter under my breath. "What about Hotch? He didn't do anything?!" I exclaimed frustrated.

"He couldn't do much. I refused to leave your side to work, therefore I should be fired" he explained calmly.

"We are going to deal with that as soon as I'm released" I said.

A small smile started playing on Spencer's lips. "Oh is it we now?" he asked sweetly.

"Of course it's we. It always has been" I replied and smiled back at him.

He leaned in and kissed me. It was just a soft peck on the lips, as if I was a fragile doll that he was trying not to break.

"Don't ever leave me again...promise?" he sighed on my lips.

"I promise".