Chapter 2 - Denial

Chapter specific warnings - none

When you woke up the next morning, you had no idea when you had fallen asleep or how you had ended up in your bed. You thought that you must have dozed off on the sofa and Eijiro had carried you into your bedroom. He always did that.

But then you suddenly remembered the events of the previous night and your stomach turned. With panic flowing through your entire body, you quickly extended your arm to the other side of the bed, trying to touch your husband - but his side of the bed was empty and cold.

You started sobbing immediately. You didn't think that you had any tears left to cry, but you were wrong. You turned around onto your stomach, weeping into your pillow. You still had no information on what had happened, nor did you get any confirmation.

But the fact that nobody gave you any good news told you everything you needed to know.

Part of you was still hoping that you took everything the wrong way and that things weren't as bad as you thought they were. Maybe you would walk out of this bedroom, and your beloved Eiji would be standing in the kitchen, preparing his daily shake.

But when you walked down the stairs and entered the kitchen, it was empty.

The blender still sitting on the countertop, exactly where it had been since you cleaned it the previous day. You tried so hard to tell yourself that you were overreacting, that everything was okay, but you failed.

Suddenly you heard the TV in the living room. He was here. He had been here the entire time, and everything had just been a dream. He was probably watching one of those weird American TV shows that he liked so much while waiting for you to wake up.

But when you entered the room, you didn't see him sitting on the sofa. Instead, you saw his face on TV.

"Police have now confirmed that Red Riot fell in battle last night at approximately seven pm. So far, all we know is that during a secret mission, the group of heroes had been ambushed by villains. More details will be announced at a later time. The 25-year-old hero was loved nationwide, he leaves behind his wife who is al-"

The TV switched off abruptly, and you fell to the floor. Everything around you was blurry. This wasn't really happening. You were still asleep. You had to wake up from this nightmare before you lost your mind.

As soon as Katsuki had realised that you were in the room, he had turned off the TV. He wanted to punch himself for turning that damn thing on in the first place. This is not how you were supposed to find out what had happened the previous night.

He got up and walked over to you, scooping you off the floor and moving you over to the sofa. He was cradling you like a baby, he had no idea what else to do. His heart was broken too. He knew that the pain you were feeling was different from his, but he suffered in his own way.

"Please tell me that this isn't true, Katsuki," you pleaded.

He looked into your puffy eyes, and all he wanted was to tell you that it was all a lie. But he couldn't do that. "(y/n)," he said softly. "I don't want to believe it either."

You buried your head in his chest, crying hysterically. He thought that all the crying must have dehydrated you. "Shall we go into the kitchen and get you something to drink?"

"I don't want to drink," you said, sounding like a little child.

Katsuki sighed. "Well, you need to drink, though. I don't want you to collapse."

You cried more. "I don't care. If what they're saying is true, then I don't care about anything anymore."

"Stop talking bullshit, (y/n)," Katsuki said, and you looked at him with a shocked expression. He quickly added an apology. "I-I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound rude."