Chapter 8 - Anger

Chapter specific warnings - a tiny bit of blood / a little cut

When Katsuki realised that his previously closed living room window, was now open, he immediately climbed out of it, running up the stairs of the fire escape as fast as possible. He wasn't sure if you had gone up to the roof, but it was the most logical thing that came to his mind.

And sure enough, when he arrived at the top, he saw you standing on the opposite side of the roof, dangerously close to the edge. Way too close. What were you planning to do? Were you going to jump?

He had known that your state of mind was very fragile, but he had no idea that it had been this bad. He could only imagine how much oil the conversation you had just overheard had added to the fire that was already burning inside of you.

He wanted to call out your name but was too afraid to startle you, potentially making you fall. You opened your arms, spreading them like an eagle, ready to take off at any moment. Something inside of Katsuki switched, he knew that every fraction of a second counted. One wrong move and he would be too late to save you.

With an immense speed, he propelled forwards, wrapping his arms around you, and pulling you back as fast as he could. Both of you landed on your backs with a loud thud. You landed softly on top of him and had no idea what was going on. You knew that it was Katsuki, but you had no inkling on why he had stopped you.

You could feel his arms tighten around you, pressing your back closer to his chest. You let it happen, there was no point in resisting him, he was so much stronger than you. You could feel him shaking underneath you. Was he crying? You were completely stunned. Why was he so upset?

"Don't ever do stupid shit like that again," he sniffled.

You swallowed hard, unable to keep yourself from sobbing. "I'm s-sorry."

"You goddamn idiot," he whispered. "If I were to lose you, I wouldn't have anything left to live for. So don't even think about doing this again."

You couldn't believe what you were hearing. Was he serious? Why did he care about you this much? It filled you with a strange sensation. Maybe it was mutual. Maybe you did have a reason to stay here. Maybe he was your reason.

"Okay."

For a moment, you were just lying on the cold roof. The stars and moon in the sky were illuminating your surroundings just enough to see the foggy vapour you exhaled with every shaky breath. You hadn't realised just how cold it was.

"Let's go back inside," Katsuki eventually said.

You tried to get up, but his grip around you didn't loosen. "You're fucking crazy if you think that I'm letting go of you anytime soon," he whispered, making the heat rise in your cold cheeks. "I'm going to carry you around until I'm sure that you won't slip away from me the second I let go."

He got up, lifting you at the same time. You wrapped your arms and legs around him, breathing him in. He smelled like autumn, he smelled like home.

Once you were back inside, he carried you over to the sofa, grabbed a blanket along the way and laid down with you. He was still holding you tightly, as though his life depended on it. Your face was flush against him, and you could hear his heart beating fast. His chest was moving slowly with every breath he took, and it calmed you down immensely.

Katsuki's head was lying on top of yours, his nose buried in your hair. The thought that he had almost lost you was driving him mad. He didn't want to cry, but he couldn't help himself. "You scared the shit out of me," he whispered, and you could feel his tears wet your hair.