Chapter 18

Kayla

I began to feel my heart in my throat as the silence dragged on behind the question. Why would he need to speak to me in private? Why can't he say it in front of Malcom and Rowan, why just me of all people? He body-slammed his ex, I guess, best friend, for me, who he taunted me on the first day. Why do I matter now? 

A better question is why was he crying earlier? In front of everyone? What changed since the first day of classes? Better yet, why now? Why this year that he has chosen to lead himself on the right path? I mean, it wasn't like I was watching him all these years, but I did notice him. Who wouldn't? His father works for the ministry. It makes him stand out.

"Well, it's up to you, Kayla, do you feel comfortable talking to him alone?" Malcom asked, putting a hand on my shoulder.

Oh. shit. This was up to me this time. 

"s-sure," I said and cleared my throat, Rowan casting me a glance that screamed what the hell?

"Okay, catch up with you later then," Malcom spoke and then pushed Rowan forward as Malcom began to walk. 

I looked to the floor, then looked to Alec, what was it that he needed to say to me that he couldn't in front of the other two? What was so secret that he couldn't confess in front of my friends?

"Kayla," Alec began and I looked to him, meeting his eyes, "I am sorry for being rude today, in class. I felt guilty all afternoon about it, right after it happened, and even up to now. I am sorry." 

What. He was apologizing to me?

"What?" I blurted out.

"What? Oh um, I am sorry for being rude, and that Cecelia almost tortured you, I apologize for my actions..." Alec started to ramble. Oh damn, I put him in an awkward position.

"Oh, Alec, it's okay. I am glad you are safe. That you aren't crying anymore." I responded and gave him a smile. 

Alec dropped his gaze, his posture turning awkward, and when he looked up again, his face had a tint of red.

"Just don't talk about the crying, please, I still have to keep a reputation, you are welcome, and Yah, I think I should... go to my common room now, HEY MALCOM! WAIT FOR KAYLA." Alec said frantically and then scurried away. He seemed scared. He was even going in the wrong direction to his common room.

"Come on Kayla, hurry along," Rowan spoke from not that far down the hall.

"Coming... Coming..." I responded and hurried down the hall, confuzzled about what had just happened with Alec, and if truly that was all he wanted to say.

Who knows, right?