Prologue

Xiao had always been a quiet individual that lurked in the shadows as opposed to walking in the light.  His duty required it.  Which is why he was even more confused when he came across a child no older than four years old in the middle of nowhere.

Abyss mages had led a coordinated attack against a village at the top of Wuwang Hill.  All that remained were that of burning buildings, the ash remains of villagers, and destruction.  Xiao had come across the scene several minutes after the monsters went on their way; he had been scouting the area after feeling a disturbance of power in the air.  

That's when he met you, a lone child on a death bed of mud and soot that was bleeding heavily from her side.  There wasn't hope for you--or at least when it came to mortal standards of healing and medicine.  Xiao had a millennia of experience under his belt when it came to collateral damage regardless of whether he was the cause or not.  His weary years during the Archon War hardened him, so he wasn't surprised at the pitiful sight before him.

He was, however, taken aback when he knelt beside you.  Surely a wounded child would be crying at the very least.  You just lay there singing a lullaby to yourself as you stared up at the dim sky.  The sight was unlike anything he'd ever seen, and it compelled him to reach out and brush the hair away from your face.

"You're a strange one," he muttered to you with a confused expression.  "One minute I think I understand humans, and the next, mortals like you show up to confuse me once again."  

"You're pwetty," you smiled.  You couldn't feel a thing.

"Don't worry.  I'll see to it that you live a long life."  He placed his hand over your eyes.

Of course, you barely remember this exchange between yourself and your savior.  His face was foggy every time you tried to recall his features, and eventually, his voice faded into the void too.  Little did you know that he stood next to you two decades later.