Happy Birthday to Me

Karas POV
     Lena has been in National City for about a month. We've gotten really close and I like having her around. I really hope she stays around for a long while. I'm greeted with a box of chocolates on my desk. I still get small gifts once in awhile. Some times they're larger.
     "Hm, I see you got chocolates today?" Nia smiles. I think she enjoys the gifts more than I do, "Oh and happy birthday!"
     She hands me a small gift that I open immediately, "Aw Nia, you got me a notebook, thank you so much."
     "I'm sure it's nothing compared to what Lena got you."
     "I actually didn't tell Lena my birthday is today. She's still settling in the city and I don't want to stress her or anything."
     "Oh... I guess I just thought she would've known considering everything."
     "What-what does that mean?"
     "You two are just super close, and you obviously have feelings for each other so..."
      "I-I don't know what you're talking about."
     "Don't play dumb Kara. I'm not sure about Lena considering we aren't as close, but I can read you like a book. You clearly like her."
     "Hey you two, what are we talking about?" Lena asks seeming to appear out of no where.
     "Nothing." I dismiss messing with my glasses.
     Lena nods slightly looking between us, "Anyway... Kara can I talk to you for a second?"
     "Uh sure... what's up?" I furrow my eyebrows, so concerned I didn't notice Nia leave.
     "So um... I'm going back to Metropolis, to run L-Corp and CatCo from there." Lena just blurts out.
     "Oh..." I say looking down, "When uh... when do you leave?"
     "I leave tomorrow morning..."
     "I- excuse me." I quickly walk away into the bathrooms before Lena could say anything.
      I quickly lock myself in a stall and lean against to door. Why am I crying? It's not like much will change... we can still talk daily... except we will only ever be friends. No chance for something more...
"Kara... are you in here?" Lena calls carefully.
"Um yeah, I'm here." I quickly wipe my tears hoping it doesn't sound like I've been crying.
"Are you okay? You sound a little funny..."
"Yeah I just think I'm coming down with something..." I sniffle.
"If you're sick I want you to go home. I don't want it getting any worse."
"Yeah... I'll-I'll head out in a bit."
"Okay..."
I hear Lenas footsteps leave the bathroom and I break down completely. She's really leaving... I thought sconce we became so close she would change her mind and stay... I guess I was wrong. I compose myself just enough to make it look like I haven't been crying as I walk out to the elevator. As soon as I get home a new wave of tears hit. I pull out my phone and call Alex.
"Alex Danvers speaking who is this?" She clearly didn't check the caller ID.
"A-are you busy?" I choke out already curled up in a blanket on my couch.
"Kara? Are you okay?" Alex asks worried.
"N-no."
"Alright I'm on my way, I'm bringing ice cream and potstickers, then you're gonna tell me who made you cry on your birthday so I can murder them, got it?"
I nod forgetting she can't see me, "Okay..."
With that the line went dead and I was left to cry. Not even thirty minutes later Alex was by my side hugging me.
"So why exactly are you crying?" She finally asks once I've sorta calmed down.
"Lena is uh... going back to Metropolis..."
"She is? Lena is leaving National City?"
"Why do you sound so surprised?"
"No reason..." Alex trails off standing up, "I need to go but... everything is gonna be okay, I promise."
     With that I was left alone once again... "Happy birthday to me."
•–•–•–•–•–•–•–•–•–•–•–•–•–•–•–•
Lenas POV
     I finish packing the last of my things. I can't stop thinking about how Kara was acting when I told her. She was in perfect health before the news... I think she might've been crying. My thoughts were interrupted when Alex bursts through the door.
     "What the hell are you doing?!" She yells.
     "I could ask you the same question, cause last I checked you don't live here." 
     "Your seriously leaving National City?!"
     "Why do you care? You don't even like me."
     "Yeah but Kara does!"
     "She's my best friend, of course she likes me."
     "You don't get it... do you?" Alex asks in a softer tone, "You buy her flowers almost everyday... and let's not forget the chocolates, expensive pens, making sure almost all of her story's are fetured, you look at her like she's the only thing that matters, you'd probably take a bullet for her and no one would be surprised. You worship the ground she walks on so my only question is, why they hell are you breaking my sisters heart?"
     "I... I'm not breaking her heart... she doesn't like me like that. We're just friends... because of my doing. We can still talk everyday."
     "Yeah but it's not gonna be the same idiot. Kara isn't going to be able to stare at you from her desk which she repositioned just for a better view, she won't be able to have lunch in your office with you every day, she'll only get to talk to when you're free, because I know for a fact that if you text her she will drop whatever it is she's doing just to talk to you."
     "And how do you know I won't do the same? You don't know me Alex."
     "You'll be in and out of meetings... it won't be as easy for you to drop those even for a girl you have a crush on."
     "Just because I happen to notice that she messes with her glasses whenever she's nervous, or the way she taps her pen on her desk when she's thinking about how to phrase a sentence perfectly, and the way she can find a Wizard of Oz quote to fit any situation so everyone laughs, or the fact she can randomly break out into song which always sounds amazing, and the way her eyes light up at even the mention of potstickers and how that and pizza are her go to meal, and that she will only buy pen refills from one company and it has to be dark midnight blue so it's dark enough to pass as black even though it's actually blue, or that she doesn't like the coconut so I take out any chocolates that have any coconut in them from the gifts I give her and replace them with the peanut butter ones which happen to be her favorite, and that she always takes on to much to handle so she ends up falling asleep at her desk so she keeps a bottle of soothing oil for her neck that will inevitably ache when she wakes up doesn't mean that I love her. So clearly you've read things wrong. She'll be fine without me."
     "After all of those things no normal person would notice you're still gonna deny the fact that you love her? She's your world and you're to scared to admit it... you're her world..."
     "I'm not her world. I'm sure once I'm out of the picture Kara and William can start dating or whatever."
     "She doesn't want to date William she wants to date you."
     "She doesn't want to date me Alex!" This time I was the one to yell... she's just mocking me.
     "Then why the hell is she home alone sobbing on her birthday, while I'm hear trying to talk some sense into you?!"
     "Wait... it's her birthday?" Why did she not tell me? I thought we were best friends...
     "She didn't tell you?"
     "No... I-I had no idea..."
     "Classic Kara... she hardly ever tells people about her birthday... more so when she really cares about them." 
     "Just because she didn't tell me when her birthday is doesn't mean she has feelings for me Alex. I mean at this point you're just torturing me by giving me false hope."
     "I'm not giving you false How because it's true, Kara has feelings for you!"
     "Let it go Alex and just let me finish packing! She doesn't like me like that!"
     "Ya know you're right, she doesn't just like you she loves you idiot!" As soon as the words left Alex's lips we both froze. Kara doesn't love me... does she? "I didn't mean to say that out loud..."
     "Y-you're telling me that Kara loves me...?"