Chapter 4

Undertale:

US PAPYRUS:

Papyrus wake up in the room behind his house. "nyeh? strange, I can not recall coming down here..." he gets up and sees that the machine was turned on. His expression quickly changes. "oh no... i didn't activate this machine, did i? no, i couldn't! i know how unstable this is....or did i. maybe i was in a genocide run and i was trying to conduct my own reset....no. i wouldn't do that." He wonders what happened and how he got here. "i swear i remember talking to blue, and waiting for the human to leave the ruins. i don't think the human arrived yet, so why would i start the machine?" He sits and ponders for a moment. "ehh, well at least it appears nothing bad happened. i should probably get back to my station. blue would freak if he found out i was at home instead of watching for humans."

As he leaves the room, Papyrus notices that everyone is gone, and the air is filled with...dust. Oh no, he recognizes this. This is what Snowdin looks like before the human kills blue. "wha-how?! i don't even remember...blue! no! not again, i gotta go!" he takes off running towards the edge of Snowdin.

Meanwhile, Sans is waiting out of sight so the human doesn't see him. He is waiting to collect his brother's dust and say goodbye before moving on and preparing for judgement. But.... "huh... that's strange. papyrus is usually here by now..." suddenly the human shows up, but to their surprise, no one was there. Frisk waited for a while, then decided to just move on. This was definitely different than any other time they've played through. Papyrus always shows up, something was off.

Papyrus is running to the scene as the human moves on towards waterfall. "no, did they... blue?! blue, where are you?! sans?!" Papyrus drops to his knees. He assumed that blue was just killed by the human. He breaks out in tears.

Sans's voice comes out from behind him. "...bro?" Papyrus perks up. "sans?! y-you're alright!" He quickly hugs Sans, not even realizing the outfit change. Both of the brothers have tears in their eyes, happy to see the other one alive.

When Sans steps back, he asks, "what happened? i thought you were gonna try to help the human... and what are you wearing?" Papyrus then replies, "..i was going to say the exact same.... never mind." Papyrus thinks to himself, it appears he isn't in the right place. He knew that other alternate timelines existed. He thought to himself, maybe, just maybe, that the machine could have thrown him off. Papyrus then said "ahh, i decided...that maybe it wasn't wise to face the kid. they seem...dangerous. i... i gotta go" and took off running towards home.

He locked himself in his room... or what would be his room. It looked a lot more like Blue's room to be honest. Then, he tries to piece together what has happened. "so, by the looks of these rooms and by sans's behavior, i am assuming that this isn't my timeline. it is like our personalities have swapped. he said that he expected me to be there to confront the human, so i am guessing that in this place, i act just like blue does at home.... i'm not sure what to do yet... but i need to do my best to blend in so i don't cause any more trouble until i figure this out." Papyrus looked into the closet. There were a few outfits, each of them reminding him of Blue's outfits. He smiled at this. He was so glad that Blue wasn't dead. "So, clearly this human is doing a genocide route, meaning that they will kill captain alphys next....or whoever is taking alphys's role in this world. the human most likely knows something is up because no one was there for them to fight at the edge of snowdin where they usually fight sans-" His train of thought is interrupted by Sans knocking on his door.

"hey, papyrus? can i speak to you?" Sans asks from outside the door. Papyrus slowly leaves his room and responds, trying his best to act as Blue would, knowing that they are swapped in this world, "ah, greetings brother. what would you like to talk about? mweheheh?" Sans replies, "uhh, listen bro. i know something's up. you are acting really weird. you didn't confront the human, you are dressed all funny, and now you're talking weird. is there something you're not telling me?" Sans knew the answer to that question, but he wanted to hear what Papyrus had to say.

Papyrus knew that if this sans was anything like himself, he would know something was up. "...alright. you caught me. to be honest, i don't know what's going on.... but....can you keep a secret?"