Chapter 11

Underswap

UF PAPYRUS

Papyrus tried comforting this version of his brother. Eventually, Sans got up, stopped crying, and wanted to move on. "I HAVE TO FIND ALPHYS AND WARN HER ABOUT THE DANGEROUS HUMAN" He started towards Waterfall. Papyrus followed.

Papyrus never really noticed how calm and peaceful Waterfall was. He was usually to busy thinking about his guard duties to realize how truly beautiful this section of the underground was. Sans skipped around, looking like a happy child on their way to see a friend. Once they reached Alphys, she quickly pulled Sans aside.

"You're late!" "I-I'M SORRY CAPTAIN ALPHYS. I WAS TRYING TO CAPTURE THE HUMAN....BUT THEY GOT AWAY." Sans seemed disappointed in himself. Alphys yelled, "If you would have captured them then maybe they wouldn't be out here hurting more innocent people-" Sans looked super hurt by this. "ALPHYS, I'M SO SORRY. I HAVE FAILED YOU...I-" Alphys responded, "How do you expect to become a royal guardsmen when you can't even capture a human??" "ENOUGH!" Papyrus snapped.

"SANS WANTED TO CATCH THE HUMAN AS MUCH AS YOU DID. QUIT TRYING TO MAKE HIM FEEL WORSE. IT'S NOT HIS FAULT THAT THE HUMAN IS HURTING PEOPLE AND IT'S NOT HIS FAULT THAT HE DIDN'T CAPTURE IT, SO SHUT UP!" Sans and Alphys looked shocked. Alphys turned to Sans and apologized. "Look dude, I'm sorry. I got upset. I was worried. You were late, so I thought the human got you. I wouldn't know what to do without you pal. You're a really cool dude, so I was just worried. I'm sorry I yelled." Sans couldn't believe it. Alphys was worried about him.

Sans looked down and replied, "I'M SORRY I DIDN'T CAPTURE THE HUMAN. I'M SORRY I LET YOU GUYS DOWN." Papyrus looked to him, then looked to Alphys and said, "IT WAS MY FAULT." What was he doing? Was he actually sticking up for this kid? Taking the blame? Why was he doing this? Papyrus thought to himself. Pondering why he was acting so different. Why was he trying to stand up for this idiot who almost just got himself killed. He continues,

"I WAS AFRAID THE HUMAN WOULD HURT HIM, SO I PREVENTED SANS FROM SUCCESFULLY CAPTURING IT. YOU'RE NOT A FAILURE SANS, IT WAS MY FAULT." Papyrus knew that if he hadn't intervened, that the human would have surely killed Sans, but he didn't want this version of his brother feeling like a failure.

There was a a rustling in the leaves below them, each monster prepared an attack when suddenly, goat kid jumped out! "Ah, it's just goat kid" Alphys responded. Then she walked off. "you two be sure to stay safe, watch out for that human. I'm gonna find them and give them a beatdown. See ya, punks!"

Papyrus felt so weird. He was acting so unlike himself. In most situations, he wouldn't care if his brother was getting yelled at. Ha, often times he was the one yelling at his brother. But this felt different. "HEY, BROTHER. THANK YOU, THANK YOU FOR STANDING UP FOR ME." Sans said. Papyrus was again shocked by the thank you. "Y-YOU'RE WELCOME, SANS." The two made their way back to the now empty town of Snowdin.

"BROTHER, IS SOMETHING WRONG?" They were sitting in their home, Papyrus was thinking to himself. He looked up and responded. "NO, I'M JUST....I'M JUST WORRIED FOR YOU, BROTHER." "WHY?" Papyrus thought about this. He wanted to say that he was worried because people were always cruel and harsh to nice guys. He remembered his childhood. Kids would beat him, threaten him, hurt him. He didn't want anyone hurting this version of Sans. He didn't know if this Sans could handle it. He responded, "BECAUSE, JUST BECAUSE."

It was rather lonely in Snowdin, so the brothers decided to head to the lab in Hotland. Sans said that Undyne would probably like the extra help. Papyrus was at first confused, but went along with it. Apparently in this world Undyne was the royal scientist. She seemed shocked to see Papyrus dressed so weirdly. "P-Papyrus? What are you wearing?" Sans responded for him, "MY BROTHER IS TRYING TO LOOK COOL!" Papyrus wasn't paying attention, he was too focused on Undyne. It was strange to him to see the captain of the royal guard dressed as a scientist.

"A-Ah, Come on in! You two can help me watch the c-cameras. Alphys said she would give us a signal if we need to evacuate everyone, so y-yeah." Undyne stammered as the led the skeletons to the big screen which played back the footage received from all the cameras. Papyrus had a bad feeling about this.