OS- Breen x reader

(It's been a hot minute since I've played half life 2, at least seriously, so I might not get his character quite right. This took me a long time since I'm honestly not familiar with his personality and didn't what to write. It still isn't that good but it's better than leaving this undone for any longer.)

(This also takes place before Gordon Freeman arrives and starts the story of half life 2)

"Sir?" A combine elite called out as they entered Breen's office. Breen glanced away from his work.

"What is it? Be quick about it, I'm in the middle of something important." Breen snapped as he turned back to his work. The combine elite remained unfazed and answered calmly.

"There's someone here to see you."

"Is it Judith?" Breen perked up a bit when mentioning her. The elite soldier shook his head.

"It's a citizen-" Breen groaned and pinched the bridge of his nose.

"Must be one of the newer citizens here to make a complaint. Send them away."

"We would but..."

"But what? I gave you an order."

"They claim to be an old friend of yours."

"So? People can lie! You should know this!"

"Yes sir." The elite soldier backed out of the room and was about to leave when another soldier mentioned something of importance.

"We just received a name. y/n l/n. Does that ring a bell?" Breen froze when he heard that name leave the soldiers mouth. There was no way they could... no.

"No that's impossible. Dr. l/n died in Black Mesa. That- That's not them." Breen replied in a flat tone. He thought about it for a minute. How did they get that name? How dare they use that name!

"So... Get rid of them?"

"No! Bring them here. I want to meet this person face to face and ask how they got that name." Breen ordered. The elite nodded and exited the office to get the citizen. Breen walked over to his office chair and sat down, contemplating the situation at hand.

'That can't be them. There is no way. I- They were shot!' Breen thought to himself, remembering the horrible disaster that was the resonance cascade. You and him were hiding in one of the labs for any sign of help. The marines were the first to show up, but by then rumors already started to spread that they weren't there to help. One of the marines walked through the halls of the facility, calling out for any scientists willing to believe him. You were one of those scientists. Breen tried to talk you out of it, not willing to believe these soldiers, but you wouldn't listen. Breen reluctantly let you run off and remained in his hiding spot, refusing to take any chances. He overheard you and the soldiers conversing, which made him rethink his decision. That's when a gunshot rang through the air followed by your voice being cut short. Breen admits he never saw the body, but it wasn't hard to fill in the blanks due to the many others that soon littered the facility. Even if you did survive that gunshot, what are the possibilities you found a way out of the building before it went down.

One of the elite soldiers made a noise to alert their presence. Breen jumped a bit and turned to his doorway, his eyes widening in disbelief. There you were standing in between the two soldiers, a similar look of shock on your face. You wore a basic citizen outfit and had your shoulders slumped, a few cuts on your face from man hacks. Outside of that, you looked nearly the same.

"y/n?" Breen hesitantly said, still unable to believe his eyes. Your expression turned to one of relief as you replied with, "Wallace? I can't believe I actually found you."

"Found me- what-" Breen stuttered, his mind racing to find an explanation.

"Explain yourself." He ordered once he regained himself.

"Oh, sure. It's a bit of a long story. I can shorten it of course but... uh..." You glanced at the two soldiers then back to Breen.

"Would you mind if we discussed this alone?" You asked in your usual polite tone. Breen hesitated to send his guards away, questioning to himself if this was some sort of trick from the rebels. Yet in the end he gave in and ordered everyone but you to leave. You smiled and thanked him.

"I've been living among these cities for quite some time, getting relocated almost weekly so none of them ever felt like home. I was willing to accept my new life before I overheard that you were here, at the citadel in City 17." You began, pacing in front of his desk as you spoke.

"I know it's been years since Black Mesa, but I knew I had to be here. It might sound weird but I had to see you again."

"How did you survive?"

"Hm?"

"Black Mesa. You were shot. I thought you were dead!" He snapped once more, all the feelings from the past few years reemerging. You were a bit shocked at the outburst but quickly noticed the tears starting to form in his eyes. He also noticed this and hid his face behind his hand.

"I was shot by one of the marines." You admitted, raising your shirt a bit to reveal a scar on the side of your lower torso.

"Luckily for me he wasn't the best shot." You laughed, lowering your shirt back.

"I should have died that day, but a guard turned the corner and was able to the soldiers before he could do worse. He helped me to a group of his scientist buddies who patched me up the best they could."

"What about you your-"

"Escape? The scientists we found were working on one of the old portals to Xen, which they reworked to teleport us out of the facility. The lead scientist was Dr. Rosenberg if I remember correctly." You explained. Breen stayed silent, taking in the information laid before him. You grew concerned by his silence and waited for some kind of answer.

"Could you- could you walk over here for a second?" Breen muttered. You nodded and carefully walked around his desk, stopping next to his chair. He held up his hand, which you gratefully took, and he rubbed your palm with his thumb, taking in the sensation. He finally looked away from his hands and pulled you down into a hug.

"I'm so sorry. I just assumed you were... If I knew you were out there I would have found you sooner." Breen apologized, trying to hold back his tears. You smiled and hugged back, rubbing circles into his back.

"It's fine, Wallace. I don't blame you for thinking that way. I should also be apologizing for being gone for so long." You replied. Breen pulled away from the hug and shook his head, telling you not to apologize for anything.

"I'm just glad your here; that you're okay." He admitted, a smile finally showing up on his face. You leaned in and wiped his tears away.

"I'm glad to see you again, doctor."