chapter 26

Preston

I watch her through the glass doors of the hospital room. The doctor had found a pulse , it was slow but Alicia was a fighter. They had quickly taken her to the hospital. They were flushing all the drugs out of her system. I don't know what I want to do once she wakes up. She has been unconscious for days now and I know she won't react well when she wakes up. I have been staying in her hospital room for a few days to make sure she is fine. I enter her room and lay back on the sofa. I flinch as my back throbs but I lay still and take it.

I abruptly wake up when I hear screams and it takes me a moment to realise that it's coming from Alicia. I quickly press the emergency button and try to stop her as she starts pulling out all the wires attached to her arm.

" Alicia stop it !"

" No! Please . This can't happen !" She cries .

I have to grab her arms and hold them as she thrashes in the bed. The doctor quickly injects her and she goes unconscious in my arms. I lay her down on the bed and tuck a strand of hair behind her ear. I quickly wipe her tear stained cheeks .

" When she wakes up again? Will she react like that again?" I ask the doctor .

" I'm not sure . We will find out soon enough. We cannot keep injecting her so it will be better if we tie her down for now " he says hesitating in the end.

The urge to punch the doctor comes at me but I push it down. He is right , we have to tie her down untill we are sure that she stays calm.

I stay with her in the room until she wakes up a few hours later. She doesn't scream or thrash this time. I don't even hear anything for a few minutes but then I hear her quiet sobs and sniffles. She flinches when I go towards her and  I stop myself from going any further. I simply call the doctor and wait , keeping a safe distance.

...
Alicia

I quietly cry at my fate. I couldn't even manage to kill myself. My wrists throb as they scratch against the handcuffs. My lips quiver as I think about what is to come next. Preston is going to kill me for real this time. He acted all innocent and nice in front of the doctors but I know him. As soon as we are back home , he is going to unleash all his pent up anger.

I try to wipe another tear but I can't stop crying. At one point , Preston came and wiped my face himself. It took everything in me to not flinch. I don't want to piss him off even more. I don't know how they managed to save me. I had taken enough tablets to kill myself and yet here I am.

I stiffen when Preston comes and sits beside my bed with a bowl of soup. He carefully  blows on it and presses it to my lips. I quietly drink it ,avoiding his eyes.

" You will be able to come home in a few days " he says and I nod hesitantly.

" I can remove these handcuffs if you promise not to harm yourself " he says again.

Confused, I look at him to decipher what he is implying. I don't know why he is still keeping up with this act when there is no one around. Acting like my devoted husband in front of the doctors is understandable, but why do it when no one's watching.

I nod yet again and he removes a small key from his pocket and unlocks my handcuffs. Instantly relieved, I rub at my wrists . I gasp when he grabs my wrist but instead of twisting it like I expected him to do , he starts applying a cream instead.

...
Sorry for this super short chapter , I just didn't know what to write in this one honestly . I'll update with a new chapter soon.