Prologue

When Dipper and Mabel were walking home from school, they weren't expecting to come home to a house full of people. However, life was surprising in many ways. When Mabel opened the door, the twins were greeted by both of their parents, the school counselor, and a few of their teachers.

"Wow! Is this a surprise party?" Mabel exclaimed. She took in a moment to consider that if it was a party, none of her friends were there, and there didn't seem to be cake or decorations. However, before Dipper or herself could ask, the school counselor answered.

"This is an intervention," the counselor explained. Mabel, who didn't know what an intervention was, was indifferent to this news. However, Dipper raised his eye brows in surprise.

"An intervention? Are we in trouble? Did we do something wrong? I'm sorry, I'll change!" He apologized. Mabel frowned. This didn't seem to be good.

One of their teachers began to speak, "Both of you are very smart and capable kids. However, your parents and ourselves have noticed some imbalances in your relationship. Mabel is a very well-rounded girl. She's very creative with a good group of friends and cool hobbies." Mabel smiled at the compliment. Creativity was one of her strengths.

"However, you seem to have an unhealthy codependency on your brother," the teacher started. Mabel continued to listen. "I noticed often, when the two of you want different things, he'll put your wants over his own. Like last Tuesday, Dipper wanted to stay after school to watch a documentary for extra credit. However, he told me he couldn't come because you wanted to go to the mall."

Mabel laughed, "Dipper doesn't need extra credit! Sure, he's not the smartest but, he is a huge nerd!" She teased, trying to make the situation lighter.

Dipper looked down, "I guess I did want to go to that documentary. But, I had a lot of fun at the mall!" He explained.

"Dipper, you didn't," his mom explained. "You followed Mabel around while you watched her friends flirt with every boy they came across."

"Well, maybe I should've been more appreciative my sister wanted to spend time with me!" He argued.

"This is the problem!" The other teacher exclaimed. "Whenever you want to do something on your own, you give it up for Mabel. You don't even try to argue your point of view. You always put Mabel first!"

"I don't think that's a problem!" Both twins exclaimed at the same time. However, the counselor spoke up before either twins could make an argument.

"It is. Mabel, you're expecting too much of Dipper. However, Dipper isn't like you. He's incredibly smart, but he doesn't have many friends and gets bullied often. He also is more into things you consider nerdy. Wheather that being a documentary, chess, or mystery novels!" The counselor explained.

"To remedy this, the five of us have decided to separate the two of you. This way, Dipper will be able to explore his own interest, while Mabel can learn that she doesn't need her brother at her side to be amazing!" Their mom explained. Mabel's eyes widened with shock and disbelief. Separate? Her brother from her?

Dipper crossed his arms and smirked, "Pfft- like you could ever separate us! We have all the same classes!"

"We have signed you up for an internship out of state, Dipper. Your bus leaves later tonight!" Their dad explained. This caused Dipper to gap.

"An internship? What's it even about? Would I even be interested? I mean, I doubt I'd be happy without Mabel anyway, but-" he shrugged.

Their dad started to speak again, "It's actually very fascinating! I think you'll be interested!"

Dipper and Mabel frowned. Their dad handed a gift bag to Dipper, "Here. This is some stuff your mentor gave us to give to you. Stuff you'll need for the internship."

"Oh... um, thanks, I guess..." he mumbled, dejected. This couldn't be happening. However, it was no use trying to argue their way out of it. Mabel and Dipper would have to be separated to fix an unhealthy relationship. They had to grow as their own individual people.

*   *   *

After about 20 minutes sitting alone on the bus, Dipper decided to see what was in the package. He was told it'd be about a nine hour trip to their destination and he didn't have anything better to do.

He first spotted some invisible ink pens. 'Pfft- what kind of intership requires invisible ink pens?' He thought. Although, this did seem like a kind of cool opportunity. The boy continued to look through the package.

'A decoder ring?' He shrugged it off. However, he did have a little smirk. Maybe he was going to become a mystery solver! Seriously, what other job would require invisible ink pens and a decoder ring?

However, it was the last thing that made Dipper gasp. It was a journal - and not just any journal. It was a blue journal with six-fingered hand; a pine tree inside it. The number 1 was written inside the pine tree. "No way..." he mumbled to himself.

He looked at the journal in greater detail and decided to open to the first page.

Dipper,

Your parents have informed Stanley and I of the situation with Mabel. It was your school's counselor who recommended time apart (Stanley and I are supportive of their decision), to which I offered that apprenticeship. If you're reading this, that means you have received my gifts and are coming back to Gravity Falls to be my apprentice. We can't wait to see you again! ~ Stanford Pines

P.S. I included the pens because you seemed to struggle with the invisible ink. As for the decoder ring, I write in code often and thought you might want to do the same.

Dipper smiled and hugged the journal closer to him. This couldn't be happening! He was going back to Gravity Falls! The one place in the whole universe where he fit in! He was going home!