Chapter Twenty: Dark Mark

It's been two weeks since the incident and things have ran rather smoothly. Blaise stopped talking to us and it sucked because I liked him as a friend. It's mid January and our break is finally over. Draco's father sent him home for some urgent business.

I'm sitting in the Great Hall, talking with Hermione while reading the Daily Prophet. Apparently there's a Mass Breakout from Azkaban. I didn't know what it was but by the description of it, I can only infer that it is a prison. The Daily Prophet wrote that a man named Sirius Black, who had previously escaped from Azkaban, helped with the escape.

"Vold- You know, him? Do you think he's really back? I mean his followers. They did something horrible. " I tell Hermione, who looks up from the newspaper with a worried look.

"They're dark wizards. Death eaters. They're horrible people. Whatever it is they did, I'm sorry. But he who must not be named, he's far worse." She explained.

Death Eaters.

"I never new that things could be this horrible." I say softly. Hermione nods her head stiffly, she probably didn't like talking about the subject.

I continue reading the newspaper. "It says here that Sirius Black is cousins with someone who escaped. Someone named Bellatrix Lestrange." I read off of the parchment. A shy gryffindor boy flickers his eyes up to mine. He looks scared, but also looks as if he's about to be sick. I mean who wouldn't be?

A mass murderer on the loose along with ten other death eaters?

He had a right to be.

The shy boy breaks our eye contact by getting up from the table and running away. I feel bad for him. I pick a grape off of the plate infront of me and eat it. I tend to stress eat a lot. Ron and Harry sit beside us with worried faces. "Did you read the Daily Prophet?" Ron asked us.

I think it was sort of an obvious answer.

I slowly nodded at his words. Of course I heard. Everyone in the entire Wizarding World has. "Dumbledore warned Fudge this could happen. He's going to get us all killed cause he can't face the truth." Hermione said angrily.

I didn't like what we were talking about. It reminded me of my father.

I look over to see two Hogwarts ghosts talking to each other with panic in their eyes. "I'll see you guys later." I exclaim, getting up from the table. I had enough to talk about dark wizards and death eaters for today.

I waved my goodbyes before leaving the Great Hall. I walk down the hall, making my way to the Slytherin common room.

I mutter the password and walk inside.

I see Pansy and Victoria sitting on the common room couch talking. A copy of the Daily Prophet both in their hands. They exchanged worried looks, they didn't like this either.

When they hear me come in they both wipe the tears off of their cheeks before they turn their heads to face me.

"You guys read it too, huh?" I ask, sitting down in the chair beside them.

Victoria starts to cry quietly and Pansy looks over to me awkwardly. "Everyone has. Some people still don't believe that he's back but we knew since Diggory got killed." Pansy explains. Diggory? I remember Harry mentioning someone named Cedric Diggory in the beginning of the year.

"I know people have mentioned that he died. Who was he?" I ask softly.

Victoria quickly wipes her tears away and looks at Pansy. "I can't talk about this." She muttered softly. Victoria was definitely hiding something. Pansy nodded at her and looked back to me. "We need to distract ourselves. I say we skip class today and go to Hogsmeade." She told me calmly.