Orange Ornaments

"It was just a statue, Doc-"

"IT WASN'T JUST A 'STATUE,' BDUBS. IT WAS THE G.O.A.T. MOTHER. THE HOLY MOTHER OF ALL G.O.A.T. S IN THIS WORLD AND YOU FUCKING BLEW IT UP!"

Bdubs recoiled from the harshness of his friend's words. "It-It was just a-"

"A WHAT, BDUBS..." Doc shook his head, his hands matching the motion. "A prank? You knew how much that meant to me."

"I-I-" Bdubs choked on his tears, frozen in fear. He had never seen this much hatred in his friend's eyes before. Fury filled them like flames. Green-and-red flames... silently asking for blood.

Before he could react, Doc attacked him, his fist colliding with Bdubs' face. He stumbled back, surprised at what had just happened. "Hey-" Doc continued to attack, this time aiming for his gut. It was like something had snapped inside of him like someone had flicked on a switch. "Doc!" Doc landed his strike at Bdub once again, and this time he had struck his ribs. Bdub doubled over, leaning against the wall for support.

"H-HOW DARE YOU!" Doc's voice was trembling with rage. Another punch. And another. Soon Bdub was in tears, not having the heart the fight back.

"I-I'm sorry... I really am, I-"

"YOU DON'T GET TO DESTROY WHAT MEANT A LOT TO ME, WHAT HAVE I EVER DONE TO YOU?! ALL I'VE EVER DONE WAS CARE FOR YOU AND YOU REPAY YOU LIKE THIS!" Doc's face was red. It would have been funny if it weren't for the fact that Bdub was in unbearable pain from the countless punches.

"I-I'm sorry..."

And another strike.

Bdub collapsed to the floor, his face full of tears from the pain. It wasn't like anything he had experienced before.

He had been punched, but the mere fact that his best friend was attacking him made it worse.

"Stop.."

Bdubs' voice emerged from his mouth, small and wavery.

But Doc kept punching, a monster deep and dangerous emerging from his fists.

And when his vision cleared, Bdubs was on the ground.

And he wasn't moving.

Doc's stomach dropped, his eyes clearing.

He wasn't moving.

He dropped.

He wasn't moving.

He wasn't moving.

"Wait-" Doc fell to his knees, eyes scanning the bruises on Bdubs' face. "Wait no no no no no-"

"Wait I didn't mean to do that, B, I didn't mean that wait-" Doc shook him desperately. "B, if this is a joke I swear to god-" Doc's eyes began to cloud up with tears of panic. "I swear to god B-"

Bdubs didn't move.

"Oh no- I- ok-" Doc scrambled around in his inventory, searching for anything, guilt settling like acid in his stomach. "I- potion. Healing. Potion."

Doc's vision was blurred with tears, tears that he hadn't cried in a long time. He was a grown man. He was the G.O.A.T father. He didn't cry.

But pure shock and guilt overcame him, and he was so scared, so scared.

So scared that he was going to lose BDubs, and no matter how many times they fought, he knew he still enjoyed his company and although he didn't want to admit it, the thought of losing Bdubs was unbearable, unthinkable even.

But here he was, Bdubs' life slipping from his hands, and it was his fault.

It was all his fault, all his fault.

Bdubs' heart slowed, and Doc's breath quickened with fear.

"C'mon, B, stay here, stay here please-"

His hand clenched around a small flask, and he pulled it out quickly, slipping in his sweaty palms.

He crushed it in his hand, watching the bright red particles spread across Bdubs' chest, heart on edge.

And then Bdubs' opened his eyes, coughing.

"What the fuck-"

"B!"

Doc enveloped him in a hug, squeezing tightly.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry- I'm so sorry, please- I'm so sorry- it's all my fault, it's all my fault-"

Doc cried openly on Bdubs shoulder as his bruises slowly faded, the potion taking hold. All of Bdubs' fear dissipated, replaced with pity for his friend.

Yes, his friend.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry- I didn't mean it- I lost my anger-" Doc rambled, out of breath. "I couldn't live without you, B, you know that? You're not annoying. It's just a fricking goat mountain thing, I'm sorry, I'm sorry-"

"It's ok."

Bdubs' patted his back comfortingly, the last bruise fading. "It's ok, shhhh."

Doc's sniffles quieted. "Really?"

"Yeah." Bdubs' smiled softly at him, feeling his ribs mend up.

"Thank god." Doc wiped his eyes, slowly, tears still pouring out miraculously.

"Soooo... I was right then. And you were wrong."

"Oh, you bastard." Doc chuckled softly, still hugging him.

Bdubs grinned weakly. "Say you were wrong."

"Fine." Doc sniffed, smiling brighter than ever before. "You were right, I was wrong."

Bdubs burst out laughing, teasing him in a mocking voice. "Doc was wronggg, Doc was wronggg."

"You're an annoying motherfucker, you know that?" Doc hugged him tighter, and Bdubs smiled.

"And you're a bastard."

The two friends chuckled, hugging alone for a bit, enjoying the silence.

"I love you, you know that?"

"I love you too."