Chapter 2 - A Broken Promise

Vasav's pov

Vasav's pov

As I reached downstairs aunty started interrogated me as if I was a secret enemy of the country she started throwing one question after another and it wasn't less than a herculean task to lie in front of her but thanks to vedu I learnt some techniques how to handle her because every time when we go out and got late vedu was always ready with an instant lie. After satisfying Aunty from her round of questions I finally sat into the car as it was pretty late now and mom handed over a list of things which I've to do on my way back. As i started driving an involuntary smile flashed across my face thinking about tomorrow and why not I was finally going to marry the love of my life. I still remember the day when I first saw her in the college in her blue rugs and a black strap top and her hair tied into a bun and I don't know about anyone else but I was fallen for her at that exact moment and now I was marrying the same crazy stubborn yet the most kindest person at the same time. Various memories flooded into my mind and I grinned as I start reminiscing about them.

"Vasav, if you leave me one day then what will I do? I don't have anyone except you" said Vedika throwing stones in the river sadness could have been clearly judged from her voice.

"You really think I could leave you? No one except me can handle your mood swings" chuckles Vasav

"Shut up idiot! I'm serious"

"Vedu if there would be a day that I'll leave you then it probably means I'm dead because until I'm alive you can't get rid off this idiot, we're meant for each other always and forever" said Vasav holding her hand and kissing her knuckles.

"And even if that day comes I'll make sure that we'll stay together in any lifetime where ever you will be. I can die a thousands deaths just to stay with you" said Vedika

My chain of thoughts were broken by a phone call from my mom snapping me back to the reality. I'm really late and mom will not spare me now. As I tried to grab my phone which was placed on the parallel seat I lost my control over the steering wheel and don't know what happened but the car's tyre slipped because it was a slippery road due to excess raining today. While I tried to control the car a truck was coming in full speed from the front before I could do anything it crashed in my car with full speed. The next thing I know I was lying on the road covered in blood I could barely open my eyes everything was blurred various voices were ringing in my head as various people gathered around me trying to wake me up. I couldn't move my body at that time and my head was in pain making me numb to the outer surroundings I wasn't in the state to utter a word. Only one image was flashing across my mind and it was of Vedika I was getting worried about her how will she handle herself. I made a promise to her that I'll never leave her and I can't break that promise I don't wanna break her. I tried to move my body tried to stand up for her but it was of no use my breathing become faster it was becoming difficult for me to breathe struggling to not close my eyes because I knew if I closed them once I may never open them again but as the time passed my will of struggling was breaking down. I longed for peace wanted to end this misery as I slowly and slowly closed my eyes and before going into a deep slumber one word skipped my lips 'Vedika'.

Author's pov

There was hustle bustle in the house because today was the wedding day of the beloved daughter of the family and also the first wedding in the house. The atmosphere was filled with happiness and cheerfulness.

"Ashok! For God's sake today you can skip watching news channel. Is it more important than your daughter's wedding?" shouted Geeta grumbling since the sun rose up after all she was the mother she wanted everything to be done in a perfect way.

"Don't shout please you know I can't skip this at any cost even at our own wedding I watched the news channel in the morning" grins Ashok testing the temper of his wife.

"You both father daughter will make me insane one day and also Vedika also hasn't come yet I told her an hour ago to come downstairs" groaned Geeta.

While Geeta was yelling for Vedika to come downstairs her gaze fell on the television which was flashing the news of a car accident. She stumbled back but hold the table which was behind her to maintain her balance. Her face turned white as a sheet when she read the name of the victim.

"Vasav?!" whispered Geeta

Ashok couldn't move himself from his spot when he watched the news but now he was more concerned about his wife when he watched her aghast state. He ran towards her giving her support because no matter what she was the mother whose heart was now weeping by imagining her daughter's state.

"Geeta...Geeta control yourself please" said Ashok choking at his own words.

"Va-Vasav.." sobbed Geeta as her bank of tears were now broken.

"Shhh...you have to be strong love for your daughter we still have to figure out a way to tell her" comforted Ashok while rubbing his wife's back.

"Vedika! How we're supposed to tell her that? I don't have the guts to tell my daughter that the person she loves more than her life is no more is dead!! My eyes can not bear to see her in that state" wailed Geeta crashing in Ashok's arms. It was difficult for a mother to see her child's dream shattering into pieces and she couldn't do anything to save it. 

"Vedu?" said Ashok in a shockingly as he watcher her standing in the staircase her eyes glued to the news flashing on the television. She was standing there like a statue not moving an inch not blinking her eyes because her whole world was crashed down in seconds in front of her. Her love whom she was going to marry within 5-6 hours was now dead leaving her alone to fight with these devils that were arising in her. Even though she was a strong girl but when the person you love is no more can break you in million pieces and then even the comfort of your family or any other person can't heal you. You become like a walking dead corpse yearning for something that can make you feel alive again.

"Vedu" said Geeta rushing towards her "Vedu please please say something  please for your mother"

"Vedika!!" shouted Ashok shaking her snapping her back to reality. She dropped down on the floor as tears start brimming in her eyes her whole world came crashing down to her when she processed the reality.

"Va-Vasav...No.. No.. NO WAY!  THIS CAN'T HAPPEN HE CANNOT DIE HE CANNOT LEAVE ME ALONE!" wailed Vedika clutching her hair with both hands in agony.

"Vedika! Handle yourself ! Vasav is dead Vedika he's dead" said her parents trying to calm down their daughter. They can't bear to lose her she's was their only child.

"No! No! He can't be dead this news is fake papa this news is fake mom believe me! Vasav promised me that he'll never leave me alone he'll never break his promise. I know him he's not a guy like that he...he is alive papa" said Vedika in one breadth. She didn't wanted to believe the reality she wasn't ready to accept that after all it was her wedding day how can a girl accept that his husband has died the same day?

"VEDIKA! Come into your senses! He's dead! He died in a car accident and now there is nothing we can do you have to let the reality sink in. Just think about his parents what are they going through" yelled Geeta in order to help Vedika to get back to her senses.

"No mom! He can't leave how could he?" said Vedika choked on her own words tears start rolling down her beautiful face hugging her mother to find some solace to settle down the storm that was raising in her mind. She was praying that Vasav shall come back but who was she kidding? A person who has died can't come back even if he wanted to. Several promises and dreams made were now broken down in so many pieces that could never be annexed back because sometimes some promises are meant to be broken even if they broke two connected souls.

================================