Twenty-Five✨

"Alright," Charlie placed his hand on the small of my back, "no peeking." I nod, allowing him to guide me to whatever surprise he had in store.

"Is everyone here?" I ask; Charlie had purposely made us stay back an extra couple of minutes, allowing the rest of the cast to get to the location before us.

"Yup," He answered, without seeing him, I could tell he was smiling goofily, "Just one more minute," I shiver slightly as Charlie pushes open a door, guiding me inside; I'm glad he warned me to dress warm, it's freezing in here, "Okay, and now." I open my eyes to see we're in an ice rink; all of our cast members and some crew skated around the ice, all waving excitedly at me. I'm not sure whether to cry, or smile; it was weird how well Charlie knew me, even when it was things I hadn't shared with him yet, he somehow always knew, "do you like it?" I turned to face Charlie, who's eyes were full of worry.

"I love it," I reassure him, "it's just," I pause, taking in a shaky breath, "the day my parents were taking me for a surprise, and we got into the accident; they later found ice skates in the wreckage."

"Oh Bree," he muttered, glancing around at the party he'd said up, "I had no clue; I would have never-"

"No," I cut him off, "I really love it; I used to love ice skating as a kid, but it was never the same after my parents died; I'm glad that the first time I'm doing it again is with my new chosen family." Charlie smiled lightly at my comment, taking my hand in his; the two of us promptly rented our skates, and within a few minutes, we were on the ice with the rest of our friends. I had feared I'd no longer be able to skate as well as I used to, but once I got onto the ice, it was like second nature.

"Of course, you're also an amazing skater," Lilly chuckled, skating over to Charlie and me not so gracefully; I hold my hands out to her, allowing her to steady herself, "is there anything you can't do?"

"Cook," Savannah answers on behalf of me, skating up beside Lilly; I don't argue with her comment, she's not wrong, "so birthday girl, what'd ya think?"

"You were right," I nod, "it is perfect." I glance over at Charlie as I say the last part, to find him already looking at me.

"Yes," Lilly exclaimed happily, moving her hands from mine to high five Savannah and Charlie; it may not have been the best idea because, within a few seconds, she was sliding back in her skates, about to hit the floor. Like clockwork, Owen skated over, putting his arm around her waist to steady her.

"Geez, Young," He teased, shaking his head in amusement, "do we need to get you one of those little walkers that kids use?" My heart leaped when Lilly laughed; sure, she laughed all the time, but whenever Aiden was around, I could always tell it was forced or fake; this time, it was real; she seemed genuinely happy.

"Pfft me?" She asked, shaking her head, "I don't know about you, but I am an excellent-"

"Lilly," A voice called out, interrupting her; I audibly groaned, rolling my eyes, "what are you doing over here? I thought I told you we were going to hang out by refreshments."

"I just wanted to see the birthday-"

"And now you've seen her," He cut her off, "c'mon," He grabs her arm, pulling her away from Owen; Lilly looks at me with sad eyes, not sure what to do.

"You don't deserve this," I mouth to her; Lilly glances between Owen and Aiden, finally nodding her head in agreement.

"No," Lilly yanks her arm out of Aiden's grip, "I'm done coming to parties and standing off by ourselves, I'm done being dragged around, I'm done getting treated like an object." Lilly exclaimed; I held my hand out to her once more, allowing her to steady herself, "I couldn't see it at first, but I don't deserve this; I deserve someone who makes me genuinely happy, someone who gets along with my friends and that treats me like I'm special." I grin excitedly, "this," She gestures between herself and Aiden, "is over."