Chapter 2: The Lullaby

"What draws people to be friends is that they see the same truth. They share it."

- C.S. Lewis

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Elizabeth Grace's POV

I'm still thoroughly freaked out by the time we reach... well, wherever we're going. My rescuer carries me inside a building that looks like a hotel of some type. He walks into one of the rooms and sits me down on a sofa.

You would think I'd want to look up and see his face. In all honesty, I do. However, at this point, both of my contacts have fallen out. I'm scared that he'll... be just like those other men and try to hurt me the moment he sees them.

"It's alright, little one. You're safe now."

I don't quite know what to say. Everything is so overwhelming. Mum... is dead. I watched her die. Now, I'm with the man that rescued me. I don't know the first thing about him.

"Don't be frightened," he continues. "Look at me."

I still don't look up. I'm too scared to. I'm practically shaking at this point. Everything inside me screams to keep my head down—and not to dare to look him in the eye.

"What makes you so afraid to look up—to look at me?"

"M-m-my eyes..."

"What's wrong with them? Can you not see?"

"No. I-I-I can see. It's just..."

"It's alright. Nothing bad is going to happen. I'm not going to hurt you. You are safe."

Finally, I look up. Before me is a man that's probably about the same age as my dad. He has reddish-brown hair and blue eyes. He looks like he's probably been through a lot in his life.

"I see now," he says. "Oh, they're lovely."

"Who are you?" I ask.

"My name is Erik. What's yours?"

"Elizabeth."

"Well, Elizabeth, I'm sure you have a lot of questions... like why any of this happened today."

"Because I'm a m-mu... muta... m-"

"Mutant."

"Yeah."

"What is it you can do?"

"Huh?"

"What's your mutation? I can see your eyes, but what can you do?"