Chapter 44: Affairs of the Heart

"The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart."

- Helen Keller

❛ ━━━━━━・❪ ⚡️ ❫ ・━━━━━━ ❜

Elizabeth Grace's POV

Magda insisted that I stay for a few days. I can't say I was opposed to it. I've been traveling almost nonstop for several months. I haven't stayed in the same place for more than a night or so. This is quite the welcomed change.

I learned more about Nina. She is indeed a mutant. It appears her gifts are very slowly showing themselves. Mine and Erik's theory is that she may be able to communicate with or share an empathy with animals. Right now, her powers are very weak. It will take them a while to fully develop. Granted, when considering how my powers developed, that doesn't sound so bad.

Magda and I are currently cleaning up from dinner as Nina is playing with a doll behind us in the center of the kitchen. We've chatted about a bit of everything. Of course, I find it funny how much she knows about me.

"You should know how much he talks about you," Magda says, motioning her head towards Erik who is sitting on the living room sofa, appearing to nearly be asleep.

"Oh really?"

"Yes. At first, I mistakenly thought you were actually his own daughter. Of course, maybe the truth isn't far off."

"He, Raven, and my parents are the first people I truly have solid memories of. I mean, he saved my life when I was only three—took care of me, made sure I slept, made sure I was ok. Years later, when we were truly X-Men, he showed me that I didn't have to be afraid of my gift."

"He still believes you are capable of flight."

"Of course, he does. He's stubbornly held onto that idea since I was seven. Here we are, I'm 23 and still have not flown."

"Well, the day you do, you'll have to tell him about it."

"I'm sure he'll be thrilled."

She looks fondly over at her husband—who has now officially fallen asleep. Her gaze is warm and loving. I love how her entire face simply brightens when he is around. Erik told me how they met. The story almost seems crazy—Magda was so willing to trust him though she knew who he was—but I guess that's what makes the story so beautiful as well.

"I'm so glad he found you," I tell her very sincerely.

"As am I," she replies. "Do you have anyone like that?"

"What do you mean?"

"A lover?"

"I've been asked that question quite a few times."

"Well, do you?"

"No, ma'am. I don't."

"But I would think you must have eyes for someone."

"At this point, I don't know."

"I take it that it's been a long time since you've seen him."

"If you consider six years a long time."

"The silver-haired boy from D.C.!"

Now, how did she... That was so fast that it was scary...

"I... I'm not sure."

"But you think you might have felt something."

"I knew him for a day."

"But you enjoyed that single day."

"You are quite determined about this, aren't you?"

"Call it a woman's intuition."

"Alright."

"Have you attempted to speak with him since the incident in Washington D.C.?"

"No. I haven't."

"Well, maybe you should."

"I... Maybe I will."

She smiles

She smiles. Nina rushes up to us, curious about what we're talking about, as a four-year-old would typically be. Magda and I sit at the kitchen table as I pull Nina into my lap.

"Do you have to leave tomorrow?" she asks me.

"I do, sweetheart. I'm sorry."

Nina pouts about this, her expression turning melancholy. Both her mother and I are saddened by her reaction. I need to continue finding other mutants. Dad also contacted me last night about a request from the CIA. We're still the leading experts in mutation. Any questions involving the Mutant X gene tend to come to us. I need to be in Langley within the next two days.

"But she'll be back," Magda assures her.

"You will?" Nina questions excitedly.

"Of course, I will be."

"Yay!"

"Nina, sweetheart, I believe it is time for bed."

"Mama..."

"Tell Elizabeth goodnight."

"Goodnight, Elizabeth..."

"Goodnight, Nina."

She jumps off my lap and takes her mother's hand. The two begin to walk towards her bedroom. Suddenly, the young girl releases her mother's hand and runs to me. She embraces me as I drape my arms around her.

"Remember Nina," I tell her. "You're a very special little girl."

"I am?"

"Oh, yes, very special. You're a mutant. Just like me and just like your papa. That makes you very special."

"Ok."

She walks back over to her mother and takes her hand. Both stand still for a moment, looking back at me. I kneel down so that I am on Nina's eye level.

"Remember Nina... mutant and proud."

❛ ━━━━━━・❪ ⚡️ ❫ ・━━━━━━ ❜

Song: If Only from Descendants soundtrack (by David Lawrence)