Chapter 41: Miss Jean Grey

"Failure is the opportunity to start over again more intelligently."

- Henry Ford

❛ ━━━━━━・❪ ⚡️ ❫ ・━━━━━━ ❜

Charles's POV

Two years later...

"Hello," I greet the young red-haired girl as I roll my wheelchair into the room she is sitting in.

"Where are my parents?" she asks me quite solemnly.

"My name's Charles Xavier," I tell her, trying to avoid that subject for at least a short time. "And-"

"They're dead," she states, interrupting me. "Aren't they?"

"Yes, they are, and I'm very sorry to have to tell you that."

"So what happens to me now?"

"Well, that's why I'm here, actually. You see, I have a school that is for young people, who are like you—special."

"Special's just a nice word for-"

"Weird? Or crazy? Yep. Yep, sometimes it is. Sometimes, it can be a word used to describe people who are significant. Or amazing. Or... or just... just really cool." I try to give her a soft smile. All that she has had to endure today is more than any child should. "You've got gifts, Jean. Do you know what? Take this pen, right. It's something that... Well, actually, just take it. It's a gift." I hold the pen out to her, and she takes it from me. "Now, you could choose to draw a really good picture with that... or you could use it to poke someone's eyes out, but either way, it's still just a pen. It's just a gift, and what you choose to do with your gift, well, that's entirely up to you... but if you want to use it to do good stuff... well, I can help."

"You're not like the other doctors."

"No... and you're not like the other patients."

Jean is released into my custody, and I take her to the mansion—which has now successfully been turned into Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters once again. She seems quite entranced by the grounds as we arrive. However, it's quite obvious that she is also very nervous.

"What do you think?" I ask her.

"I can't stay here," she replies.

"Ok. Why not?"

"It's too nice. I... I break things."

"Well, how does this sound: If you break something, anything, I can fix it."