Chapter 36: Because Who Doesn't Need a Stadium?

"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass."

- Anton Chekhov

🖤 ┈┈┈┈° 🥀 °┈┈┈┈ 🖤

Elizabeth Grace's POV

The number of ways this could go wrong...

We tried making contact with Raven. While we were successful, she is still set in her ways. Her plan has not changed. Trask is her target.

Of course, our problems only seem to get worse from there. The president is presenting the sentinel program to the public. The disturbance we caused at the peace conference was enough to push his decisions. This doesn't even mention that they found Raven's blood in the pavement—the one thing they need to create their sentinels. We can only pray they don't have enough.

But wait, one would think our bad luck ends there... wrong. Trask is going to be with President Nixon when he presents the sentinels. Raven is still going after him. If she kills him there... our future will be set permanently. The humans will be on the hunt—craving blood.

I've only obtained small bits of information outside of that through my now growing telepathic abilities. Even without Cerebro, I have found that I'm able to connect with Erik—sometimes. He found Raven after we left Paris. I'm not aware of much of the conversation, but I know that it wasn't pleasant. I am a bit wary of what he might attempt to do at the presentation. He's done something to the sentinels—what he's done remains to be seen.

We're currently on the jet flying towards D.C. I'm in the cockpit with Hank. Both of us are nervous. If we don't stop Raven, and likely Erik, we're doomed. Sadly, this is no understatement. The images Logan showed me when he first arrived present like a demented slideshow in my head...

Even through the years Erik was in prison and Raven was nowhere to be found, I never thought things would end up like this. I could've never predicted they could become the people that would bring about our destruction. Honestly, I couldn't even say I ever thought they would be our adversaries. Maybe this is out of love. Maybe it's just out of naivety.

I leave the cockpit and sit in the area just behind. Logan comes to sit across from me. At first, I barely notice him as I'm so consumed by the many thoughts swirling through my mind. It isn't until he clears his thought that I look up at him.

"Nervous?" he asks.

"I guess that's only a part of my problem," I confess.

"Spill, kid. It's been eating you up for days."