Chapter 5: Every Journey Has a Beginning

"The scariest moment is always just before you start."

- Stephen King

➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶

Charles's POV

Three and a half years later...

I still have yet to learn about the man who saved my baby girl. Elizabeth Grace smiles whenever he's mentioned by Raven or me. She hums the same tune that I believe she heard from him whenever she's nervous or anxious. It seems to calm her.

Strangely enough, she seems to be waiting for him to come back. I think she sometimes worries about her friend—as she calls him. This might be the one thing that gives me peace about what happened. She wasn't alone. Someone saved her, protected her, even comforted her.

I've been studying at Oxford University and am to present my thesis tomorrow. After that, I will have graduated. Raven is happy for me, but it's quite obvious that Elizabeth Grace is a bit more so. I swear she could recite my thesis to me, which would seem strange for a seven year old. Of course, it would seem strange just until you met her.

Elizabeth Grace has impressed me more and more over the past few years. Her intelligence has surely shown itself. She's seven and can easily understand the less complex parts of my thesis for my doctorate.

Of course, just as her intelligence has developed... so have her powers. I don't think I ever truly understood until recently just how powerful she is. Her powers developed extremely young, so I feared something like this could result. I knew about what happened to the men that killed my Evelyn—how she caused their deaths—but even knowing that I didn't know how dangerous she could be. We've had more than one instance in which someone was hurt or nearly hurt. Elizabeth Grace's abilities scare her and rightfully so.

I've taught her to control them to an extent. She suppresses some of them as to be in control. She dares not release all that she can do.

Of course, just as before, the colored contacts are necessary. Her eyes appear as blue as mine. If she doesn't use those, she uses the sunglasses she was given by the man who saved her.

I am sitting on the couch with Raven on one side and Elizabeth Grace on the other. Both of them seem a bit agitated with something that came up in a conversation earlier, "Mutant and proud." Neither one of them seems to have ever felt proud about their gifts. It started with Raven and her natural blue form. She doesn't feel as though it's beautiful. It spread to Elizabeth Grace with her eyes. It saddens me greatly. In my eyes, she's too young to even have to face those types of thoughts.