Chapter 39: On the Run

"Trust your instinct in the end, though you can render no reason."

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

❛ ━━━━━━・❪ ⚡️ ❫ ・━━━━━━ ❜

Elizabeth Grace's POV

I passed out shortly after Erik's feet left the ground. The serum had officially taken its effect. When I awoke, I was back at the mansion in my room, tucked nicely into my bed. Erik was nowhere to be found; however, his helmet was sitting on my dresser.

Dad and Hank arrived at the house several hours later. I thought dad was going to fall out of his wheelchair when I opened the door. He had panicked when he couldn't find out where Erik had taken me to. He had prayed he'd find me at the mansion. Clearly, the fatherly instincts that were turned off for so many years have a pretty effective on-switch.

The world knows about mutants now. Many are in fear because of Erik's actions. Others find hope in what Raven did. None of us are truly sure what their overall reaction will be. Right now, all we know is that the sentinel program has been eradicated. For that, we are most comforted.

Obviously, a large amount of politics will follow. Dad will likely be dragged into these political debates. Maybe the fact that I'm heading back to Oxford soon isn't so bad. I'm hoping this means that I will not have to be a part of this disaster.

Of course, I'm also a bit sad to be leaving home now that we will find a sense of normalcy under its roof. Dad and I will certainly have some issues to work through. However, right now, just having him back is enough.

Hank and I are currently in the lab to keep busy. We aren't exactly doing anything that is overly productive, but here we are. We started out actually attempting to do an experiment, but now it has just turned into planning. Dad has regained his motivation. He wants to reopen the school.

"You think we're gonna be able to pull this off?" Hank asks me.

"At this point," I begin. "I think I have to believe we can. Having the school here created a whole new world for so many mutants... including me. For once, they had a sanctuary—somewhere they could actually thrive rather than just survive. Now that the world knows about us, they're gonna need that."

"Yeah. I guess that's true... Could I ask you a question?"

"Sure."

"What happened to you after D.C.?"

"Honest answer... I'm not sure. I passed out pretty soon after the fight. When I woke up, here I was."

"And Erik?"