Chapter 42: A Meeting with a Devil

"Every time I close my eyes blowing that trumpet of mine, I look right into the heart of good old New Orleans. It has given me something to live for."

- Louis Armstrong

❛ ━━━━━━・❪ ⚡️ ❫ ・━━━━━━ ❜

Elizabeth Grace's POV

Two years later...

From the day I met Jean onward, the young girl became like a younger sister to me. She viewed me as a mentor and a confidant. I was someone she could come to when she didn't know who else to turn to. She finally has someone who understands her. Whenever I'm at the mansion, one can find the young girl close at my heels.

I graduated from Oxford earlier this year with two Phds, a doctorate degree in genetics, just like my father, and a medical doctorate degree. I now travel around the world in order to bring in new students to Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters. Many of the children, or mutants in general, still find themselves in significant danger. I often am a required rescuer. Many of them require medical attention when I retrieve them.

When I am not finding students, I teach many scientific subjects at the school. Dad laughs that the school now has a second Professor Xavier. Of course, many of the kids still refer to me as Professor Athena or simply Athena. This certainly helps with any confusion.

I've somehow found myself in New Orleans this week. Cerebro is more accurate when finding the exact location of the mutants we're looking for, but I can still use my power by itself to sense mutants when I am close to them. This, of course, only gets me to a bit of a general area at the moment. The rest is up to me.

I've found myself in a pub, surrounded by card tables and alcohol. Most speech is unintelligible and slurred at this point. The entire establishment smells strongly of bourbon. I hear a few whistles and catcalls as I walk by the tables. One man stands up and blocks my path.

"Hey, pretty lady," he slurs drunkenly.

"Excuse me, sir," I say, unfazed.

He doesn't move out of my path. Instead, the drunk man gets closer. He seems a bit confused when I don't back away, but instead stand my ground, still looking him right in the face. He mistakenly expected someone a bit more timid and submissive, who would step back anxiously. Instead, he is met with eyes of determination which have no intention of dealing with this form of junk today.

"Hey fella!" I hear someone behind him yell in a cajun accent. "How 'bout you leave dhe lady be?"

"How 'bout you shut your mouth!" the man exclaims.