Chapter 4: I Know, Dad...

"We never truly lose our demons. We only learn to live above them."

- The Ancient One, Doctor Strange

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Elizabeth Grace's POV

"Dad. Dad... are you there?"

I listen closely. I'm not sure where he is, so I'm not sure how far I'm having to reach. He has to be listening though... He has to be.

"Dad. Dad... can you hear me? Are you there?"

"Elizabeth Grace?"

"Dad?"

"Oh, my Elizabeth Grace!"

"Dad!"

"Where are you, baby? Are you ok?"

"I'm ok, dad. I'm fine."

"I'm assuming you found him," Erik states.

"Yes."

"Do you know where you need to go yet?"

"Just-just down the street. He's waiting."

"Alright. Let's go."

Before one can so much as blink, I have my shoes on and am standing at the door. Erik laughs slightly—but it's a very weak laugh. I think he's sad about me leaving.

We walk until we're about a block from where I'm going to meet dad. Erik looks down at me somewhat pitifully. He kneels down so that he's at eye level with me once again.

I take his sunglasses off and hold them out to him. He looks from the glasses to my eyes and smiles. He shakes his head, takes the glasses from my hand, and places them back on my face.

"You keep them," he says. "I'll come back to get them the next time I see you. One day, you won't have to wear them, because one day, you won't be afraid of those beautiful eyes."

"But how?"

"Because I'm going to make the world safe for little mutant girls like you. Don't you worry."

I reach my arms out and drape them around his neck. He embraces me, pulling me into his own arms. Neither of us moves for a little while. I'm admittedly sad to leave him. He's been very kind to me. However, I know I need to go back to where I belong.

"Goodbye, Elizabeth."

"Goodbye, Erik."

He releases me as I walk towards the spot where I'm supposed to meet dad. I'm only about ten steps away when I turn back around. For a moment, I listen.