Chapter 48: Weddings with Homicidal Maniacs... and a Side of Romance

"She's your lobster. Come on, you guys. It's a known fact that lobsters fall in love and mate for life. You know what, you can actually see old lobster couples, walking around in their tank, you know, holding claws."

- Phoebe, Friends

❛ ━━━━━━・❪ ⚡️ ❫ ・━━━━━━ ❜

Elizabeth Grace's POV

"So, who's gonna be your plus one?" Jean asks me, raising her eyebrows.

"Don't give me that look," I say back, rolling my eyes. "I know what you're thinking."

"Oh come on! You totally should."

Callie is getting married in a month. She told me she left spots for myself and a plus one. Jean has been nagging me to ask Peter to go with me for over two months. She and Callie have been ganging up on me about this since they found out I went to see him the first time. They are highly determined. I swear, they're almost as bad as Magda.

"He should soooo be your wedding date!"

Help me...

"Come on, Elizabeth," she continues. "You two are like the guys in the movies that are madly in love but won't admit it!"

"Oh, come off it. You know we're just-"

"If you tell me, 'We're just friends,' I'm personally going to call Peter myself. We both know that's a lie."

"I have a feeling you're going to call him anyway."

"Probably."

"If I call him, will you two get off my back about it?"

"Yes."

"Fine then."

I walk over to the small table in the corner of the room, pick up the phone, and dial in his number. Part of me is hopeful he doesn't pick up, and yet, I know there's a larger part of me that hopes he does. Within a few moments, I hear a voice I know all too well answer from the other side of the line.

"Hello, Maximoff residence."

"Hello, Peter."

"Elizabeth! Hey! I- I mean, 'sup girl."

"You're failing miserably at being smooth," I laugh, a bit.

"I... uh... Hi."

"Hi. So, um, uh, so..." I stutter before someone grabs the phone from my hand.