Chapter 16 - Aftermath

Chapter 16
Aftermath

The blizzard ended that very morning, the morning after Molly had revealed that she was pregnant with Aaron’s babies. The power went on around eight in the morning, but Emma didn’t even bother to wake up from her slumber. A few couple times that night she would wake up and cried herself to sleep. She was lost. Her perfect world seemed to crumble into pieces yesterday and she didn’t know how to fix it or even worse she didn’t even know if she wanted to. A few thoughts came to her last night, from the easiest one to the craziest one. One time she considered pleading Aaron not to leave her as he had promised back in Vermont. And yet, another thought or what she would like to call her consciousness, told her to let him go, to not get in a way of a family. Another crazy thought, they could just run away into another country, starting fresh and leave everything behind. She sighed. That was a crazy idea and she was sure they couldn’t do it. It was too selfish.

That morning she was waking up by the sound of her phone ringing for probably a millionth times that day. She groaned and turned the phone off. It was Aaron who tried to call her for the entire night. Mostly because he was worried about the blizzard. But she just couldn’t deal with him. Not yet. It was too painful. For Aaron, he didn’t even know what’s going to hit him soon. Emma knew Molly would talk to him that day and she couldn’t bear to tell Aaron about the news, she couldn’t, it wasn’t her place to tell. Half an hour later she reluctantly woke up from her bed to pee, something she eventually needed to do after gulping down a bottle of red wine.

Her head was spinning as she tried to pull herself up from her bed. She took an aspirin located in her nightstand and gulped it down with some water she left beside it. She stumbled a couple times on her way to the bathroom. She hadn't even reached the bathroom yet when a new wave of nauseous hit her hard, she ran to the bathroom and let it all out. Damn it! She muttered and cried. After she was done, she brushed her teeth whilst looking at her reflection in the mirror. She looked like a wreck. Her hair was messy, her eye bags were puffy and blackish, and more importantly she doesn’t look well. She quickly washed her face and changed into a clean set of pajamas. She then made her way into the kitchen and poured herself some milk and cereal, not bothering to check whether the milk had gone bad or not. She took a sip and shrugged, it didn't taste weird and she figured it was fine. She was too lazy to pour another bowl of it anyway. She finished her meal and plopped herself on the couch as once again she fell asleep.

There was a loud noise that forced her to wake up from a sweet dream she just had. She blinked once. She blinked twice. She then sighed as she realized it was just a dream. Her dream was so real it hurt. In her dream, she was wearing a gorgeous wedding dress as she walked down the aisle with her father on her hand, looking so happy and proud. A man was waiting for her at the altar, he was wearing a neat black tuxedo from Armani as she believed. It was him. The minister was officiating the wedding as they finished their vows and exchanged their rings. As the minister about to pronounce them as husband and wife the loud bang woke her up.

“Wait a minute!” Emma yelled. She tried her best not to stumble as she made her way into the front door.

It was very dark when she realized she was asleep for the entire day that she didn’t have a chance to turn the light on. She switched the light on in the living room before turning the knob open. Her heart was racing as she touched the doorknob, afraid of what was waiting for her outside that door. Afraid of the aftermath.

She gulped as she silently prayed for anyone to be standing outside that door other than the two people she was dreading to meet. She twisted the door knob slowly and it revealed the person who was standing behind that very door. Before she could do anything about it, that same person jumped into her and pulled her into an embrace.