Chapter 2 - The Real World

Chapter 2
The Real World

Welcome to the real world. It sucks and you’re going to love it!

That’s what her aunt, Monica told her right after she graduated. Today was her first day at work. Emma couldn’t sleep well the night before. She rolled her body around to see her phone that was sitting on her nightstand. She sighed. It’s 06:25 AM, which mean she have to wake up in five minutes. She decided to sit up in her bed, checking a few emails and messages on her phone. She found nothing but a message from her mom asking her about the apartment she currently living. Her love life was dull. It’s not like she isn’t attractive. It’s the opposite. She’s this tall blonde girl, with a slender body, a beautiful face, an okay job, and yet zero boyfriend. How ironic is that?

After spending the entire five minutes sulking about her love life she finally tied  her hair up into a bun and took a shower. She then brushed her teeth, put on some make up, put on her clothes for the day that she picked up a week before, and headed to the kitchen. The whole process took her an hour. By the time she entered the kitchen, Erica was already up, preparing breakfast and coffee for both of them.

“Good morning.” Emma greeted her cousin who was busy cooking pancakes.

Erica then took a glance at Emma and gasped.

“You look gorgeous, Em.” Erica said wholeheartedly.

“Thank you.” Emma smiled shyly as she took a seat at the counter stool.

“So, are you ready for your first day at work?” Erica asked as she put some pancakes into Emma’s plate.

“Thanks.” Emma said with a smile. “Uh, I don’t know. You know how much I want to do this, right?” Emma asked.

“Well, yeah. You’ve been talking about it on and on and on and on again.” Erica said in a playful tones and Emma rolled her eyes.

“Okay. So, I woke up this morning and I suddenly got scared.” Emma confessed.

“Of what?” Erica asked.

“Of the reality. I mean, what if the job isn’t what like I imagine it will be? What if they hate me? What if....” Emma trailed off and Erica cut her off.

“Wow. Wow. Slow down. You’re just making this up on your head because you’re nervous. Trust me it’s normal to be nervous on your first day at work.” Erica reassured her.

“Maybe you’re right.” Emma sighed.

“I tell you what? How about we’re going to the bar tonight? I know this bar that just opened last week. Oh! And we can ask Lily to come too!” Erica said excitedly.

“Really? Lily is 19 Er, in case you forget about that.” Emma said.

“Oh, yeah. She’s very tall though, I keep forgetting that she’s younger than us.” Erica said.

“So. We’re leaving at 8?” Erica asked.

“Sounds like a plan to me.” Emma replied with a smile.

A few hours later, Emma stood up in a huge office building. The building was surrounded by trees and all kind of plants. They also have this rooftop park where they planted a lot of trees and flowers. That easily become the hotspot for the employees who worked there. Emma eyeing the building from bottom to the top and then she took a look around her. It was a busy Monday morning, but she managed to come to work early. She took a glance at a few employees that were passing by her. One of them could be her coworkers, she thought.

She finally took a deep breath and step in inside the building where she will spend a lot of her time on. She went to the front office, introducing herself and they lead her to the HRD office where she met Mrs.Cooper, the person in charged on hiring her. She spent some times on her office where she briefed her about the stuff related to her works and then Mrs.Cooper showed Emma her own desk.