Chapter 5 - Regret

Chapter 5
Regret

It was Saturday morning, Emma woke up with the biggest smile on her face. She tied up her hair into a bun and walked outside her room.

“Good morning.” Emma greeted Erica ecstatically.

Erica who was eating some cereal in the kitchen, turned her head around to face Emma.

“Wow. Someone is freakishly happy for some reason.” Erica teased her.

Emma had told her everything last night. From her date with Lucas and Aaron. Well, especially Aaron. Without her knowing, Erica already knew out of the to man who Emma would pick. Emma made it so obvious when she was beyond ecstatic every time she mentioned his name.

Emma grinned happily at her cousin as she poured herself a cereal and milk and then she sat next to her.

“Well yeah!! I’m going to a Maroon 5 concert tonight!!” Emma said.

“I can’t tell which one makes you happier. The fact that you're going to the Maroon 5 concert or the guy you’ll be going with.” Erica teased and raised her eyebrows.

Emma blushed for no reason. “Both.” She said with a big smile on her face and Erica smiled and shook her head. It’s so obvious that Emma is falling for this Aaron guy.

“Anyway. Lucas called me earlier, asking about you. He said you haven’t reply his text since last night and he couldn’t reach out to you. He was worried.” Erica said.

“Really? Wait let me grab my phone.” Emma hurried to her room.

She located her phone at her nightstand and turned it on, but she couldn't. She then tried to plug it into the charger and luckily it was working. She quickly checked her messages and found 15 new text messages and 5 missed call. She scrolled through her call logs first and found 3 missed call from Lucas, 1 from Aaron, and 1 from her mom. She then opened the text messages and scroll it, 10 of those are from Lucas, and the rest if from her mom and dad asking if she could come to a family dinner today.

She decided to call her mom first, since she knew how worry she can be if she didn’t call her immediately.

“Mom? You call?” Emma said.

“Yes, honey. We'll be having a dinner together tonight at 8 at Mon’s place. Your dad has been chosen as a keynote speaker at the International Paleontology Conferences in London next month. We’re going to celebrate it tonight. You can come, right? ” Rachel said.

Why today? She thought. She hated to lie to her parents, but she hated it more to hurt her dad’s feeling, but she really wanted to go with Aaron tonight. So she decided to lie.

“I’m sorry mom. I have to work today. There’s a lot of things to be prepared for this case. Tell dad congratulations and I’m sorry.” Emma said.

“Okay honey. It’s okay. I’m sure your dad will understand. Take care.” Rachel said.

Emma could feel a hint of dissapointment in her mom’s voice. She thought she can easily made it up by coming home on Sunday. Yes, her parents must be happy.

“Alright mom. Love you.” Emma said.

“Love you too sweetie. Bye.” Rachel said.

Emma sighed heavily. It was hard to lie to her parents, but just for today she let herself do it.

She then take a look at Lucas’ texts and she gasped. She had forgotten that she actually agreed to meet Lucas for another date tonight. Oh Crap! Another one to cancel. She thought.