37.2~ The Big Day

When we got to the party room hosting the dance, some bouncers were at the entrance picking up tickets and purses from the girls. We gave in both of ours, I dropped off my purse, and we went inside, where pop music was booming loudly and students from all grades were mingling.

The room was lit up nicely, along with some colorful lights that shone around the room and flashed to the music. Itwas a slow pop song that was playing, but I didn't know it.

There were snacks on some tables at the side, accompanied by a bunch of fruit punches. There were also a bunch of circular tables set everywhere for dinner. Everyone was sitting down and talking to each other.

As we passed some tables, I noticed a few students glancing at us and whispering at us. I was almost bothered, but I took a deep breath and held my head up high. I wasn't going to let them ruin my night over some rumors.

We found our friends at a table. Emmary had come with Kobe as her date. They were sitting next to each other and chatting.

She was wearing a beautiful, glittery, sky-blue dress with a lace cloth covering her skirt, and swirl patterns adorned the bodice. Her black hair was done in an elaborate bun, which made her look even prettier. The bun was my idea.

Felicia, on the other hand, was wearing contacts, which made her seem strange, since I was used to her glasses. Her green eyes sparkled with a green barrette in her blond hair, which ran down her shoulder in a beautiful braid. Her green earrings also matched.

She was wearing the plain silver dress we'd found at the store before, which looked really great on her. Her color scheme basically contrasted mine; I was green and silver while she was silver and green.

Her date was Johnny's other friend... Bruce, if I remembered correctly.

And Johnny's last friend, Kevin, had another girl with him, but I didn't know her. She looked a bit younger, so she was probably a sophomore.

"Hey, guys." Johnny pulled a chair out for me, letting me sit down before sitting down himself.

"Um, Marylyn, this is Johnny and Marissa," Kevin said to his date. "Guys, this is Marylyn."

"Yeah, I've heard about you." She shook our hands. "Nice to meet you guys."

We spent some more time chatting before the principal went up to the stage, where the DJ and speakers were, and asked us to quiet down. He stood under the banner that read, 'Winter Formal 2022'.

"Welcome, students of Brownbrick High, to this year's Winter Formal. This year, we've returned with many students who have formed part of the school's history," —he nodded at a table in front of him, which had a bunch of seniors— "students just starting their high school journey," —he nodded at a table of freshmen— "and other students that joined us just recently," —he nodded at our table, glancing at me— "and we are all grateful that we can be here all together, especially since we couldn't have this dance last year. Let us all give thanks for a wonderful year so far. So without further ado... let's eat!"

We all clapped, some students cheering. We were served our dinner, which was shredded pork roast with gravy and mashed potatoes, along with some carrots on the side. My mouth watered at the smell.

During dinner, I couldn't help but look over at a certain table. I could see Clara Mayfield with some other guy as her date, and a few of her friends, though I didn't see Eve or Macy, who were now her former best friends.

"Did Eve Ross and Macy Beamer come?" I asked.

Felicia shook her head. "They got the Winter Formal denied because of the rumors they spread about you two."