25~ Dance Your Heart Out

Johnny

Something was wrong.

Marissa seemed weird all day. She kept telling me she didn't feel well, but she refused to go home early to rest, and she didn't even want to see the nurse.

I had a feeling I'd done something to make her upset.

Was it that Clara and I got back together? She said she was happy for us, and I couldn't come up with any reason why she'd be upset. I knew she didn't really like Clara's way of being, but they hardly knew each other, and nothing bad had happened between them before.

I slung my bag over my shoulder, looking for Marissa as we all headed towards the entrance. I really wanted to make sure everything was okay.

During Calculus, she and I competed for handing in our paper first, or answering questions, just like always. But whenever I talked to her, she seemed a little distant.

Was it because Clara was in our class? Maybe she didn't want to make her jealous.

Though, in Chemistry, she was the same, and Clara didn't have that class with us.

Once I got through the doors, she was nowhere to be seen. I saw some of her friends walking together, but she wasn't with them. I jogged up to them.

"Hey, uh... you guys! Emmary!"

She looked at me, her gaze seeming to harden when I approached her and her boyfriend.

Was she mad at me?

"Uh... you guys seen Marissa anywhere?"

"She went home a bit early. She felt sick," she said curtly.

She went home?

"Oh, uh... she's sick? What does she have?"

"Heartbreak," I heard Marcus mutter.

Wait, what?

Emmary punched his arm. "She just feels a bit sick. She's had a lot of projects lately, so I guess it's stress."

"Oh. Well... did she tell you guys anything?" I asked.

"Like what?" She pursed her lips and crossed her arms.

Why was she so mad at me?

"Like... did she ask you to tell me anything? Did she wanted to let me know about something?"

"Text her yourself. Bye, Johnny."

She headed off, tugging Marcus with her.

I sighed, feeling frustrated. What did I do? Is Marissa actually mad at me?

"Johnny!"

I turned to see Clara rushing up to me, her blond hair bouncing behind her. I couldn't help but smile.

I was pretty happy we were together again. I'd missed all the sweet moments we'd had; like that time at the carnival that I gave her a huge, blue stuffed bear. Or that time at the beach when I taught her to surf.

Now that she wasn't talking about marriage or a whole future together, I had a feeling our relationship would last a lot longer. If we ended up only friends after high school, so be it. At least we'd have enjoyed our time together.

She circled my arm with hers, falling into step with me as we walked. She lived a few blocks further from me, which was why she usually drove home, but lately, she'd been walking me home and catching a ride at the end of my street.

She gave me a quick kiss. "You leaving without me, babe?" She pouted her lips, making me laugh at her adorable face.

"Waiting for you, actually," I said as we crossed the campus line. "Can't go without the princess on my arm, am I right?"