28~ Loyalty

Tuesday, January 25th

I sighed in annoyance as my lab partner scooted away from me in Chemistry class.

I didn't know how she planned to work in the lab with me like this, but it was her grade she was damaging, not mine.

"Dora, could you pass me the beaker, please?" I said.

"Um... can't you get it yourself?" she said meekly.

I glared at her. She stepped back, covering her mouth with her gloved hand. As if herpes was passed through air.

People really were stupid, weren't they? Did no one pay minimal attention in Health class?

I sighed sharply. "Dora, I have freaking gloves on, and I'm not contagious at all. Unless you want to get a D in this class, you have to help me, so pass me the freaking beaker!"

She jumped at my outburst. Everyone around us glanced at me, including Johnny, who was also struggling to work with his lab partner.

With a trembling hand, Dora picked up the beaker with two fingers and passed it to me. I snatched it from her angrily. "Thank you."

Soon after, the bell rang for the next class.

I hurriedly took off my gear and left, wanting to get away from all these people. Johnny hurried after me, trailing behind me.

"Where are you sitting for lunch?" he asked me.

I sighed. "I'm not sure. I usually go with Felicia and Emmary, but today... I don't feel like going into that cafeteria."

"Hey, Baker!"

We turned to see a group of students looking at us. They looked vaguely familiar, but I couldn't place who they were.

"Did you use the gifts we left you yesterday?" one of the girls said, making her friends laugh.

Now I remembered.

They were the ones who trashed my locker yesterday.

Johnny clenched his jaw and made his way over to them, but I stopped him. The last thing we needed was for him to get into a fight.

"Considering they walked home together, they probably did. Went all the way to their fun house," a boy snickered.

"That's because we're neighbors, you moron," Johnny snapped.

"Exactly! That just makes things easier!" They burst into laughter.

"Listen, if you worthless pieces of trash don't shut up right now-" He approached them dauntingly.

"Johnny." I grabbed his arm and held him back. "Ignore them. This is what they want. Don't fall for it."

"Oh, looks like she tamed you, Calloway! Look how sweet they are!"

I turned to leave until I thought back on what they said. I stopped in my tracks.

"Wait... how do you guys know we walked home together?"

"It's obvious. Everyone saw you."

"But how did you know we walked home? Just because we left the school together didn't mean we lived close to each other. Who told you we were neighbors?"

"It's all over the place, Baker! Everyone saw you two all chummy! What, you haven't kept up with the Web?"

"Oh, and speaking of that," said another boy, "what are you gonna tell your parents, John-boy? Do they know you broke your 'abstinence pact'?" They laughed again and slapped each other's backs.