36.1~ Shopping

Marissa

Thursday, February 3rd

Lizzie's Dresses was the best dress rental in Bayfield, according to Emmary. She always rented her dresses for Homecoming and Winter Formal here, and she couldn't wait for her prom dress.

Felicia said she usually didn't wear anything too fancy; instead of renting, she borrowed some dresses from her older cousins, and she chose simple ones.

"I don't have the look for something that fancy. It just doesn't go with me. One of many reasons I looked so ridiculous with those 'cool clothes' in 6th Grade," she'd said.

As soon as school ended, Emmary's mom picked us up and took us to the store. My mom was coming by sometime later to check out the dress I picked.

"What did you wear for your Winter Formal at your old school?" Emmary asked me.

"At Pinewood? Um... nothing that fancy. A nice, elegant dress, usually. Like the one I wore on Christmas," I responded.

"Oh. That's a nice dress, but... still pretty simple for Winter Formal."

"Well, I wasn't looking to impress anyone... but now I am." I smiled.

They smiled back. "True," said Felicia. "Though... you really didn't like any certain someone's in Iowa?"

"Um... more or less. I went out for blind dates thanks to my friends, and... ugh, it was awkward. And I tried dating one of my guy friends for a week, but... we friendzoned each other. We were more like brother and sister, so after a week, we stopped before it could get weird."

"Ouch." Felicia observed a long, silver dress, her eyes roving over it carefully.

"So that means..." Emmary paused. "Johnny's, like, your first love?"

I squealed. "Yes! I've never, ever felt this way about a guy before!"

"So you need to look stunning! How about..." Emmary pulled out a large, thick dress.

When I looked at it, I felt a bit blinded. It was... too much.

It was like a Disney Princess dress. Puffy sleeves, glittery bodice, and an overdesigned skirt. It looked pretty heavy to wear.

"Um... no. Just... no." Felicia gave her a look.

Emmary frowned. "Why not? It's beautiful!"

"It's extravagant. I know it's a formal dance, but it's not that formal."

She looked down at the dress and twisted her lips. "Okay, you're right. It's too much." She put the dress back and sifted through the other ones. "How about... this one?"

This one was simpler, but it was a gold color. I gave her a doubtful look.

"Nope," I said. "Gold isn't my color. It looks funny on me."

"You sure?"

I took the dress and pinned it on myself. The girls observed before nodding in agreement.

"Yeah... gold doesn't go with you," said Felicia, taking the dress and putting it back. "No offense."

"None taken, I said that first. And it's true."

"What is your color?" Felicia pinned the silver dress she was looking at earlier on herself before pinning it on me. "Silver's good. And there's white, then red, then... maybe a light pink?"

"I already wore silver for Thanksgiving, and red for Christmas," I said. "And pink... that's not a winter color. I want to wear something winter-themed this year."