31~ Secret Admirer

Monday, January 31st

I glanced around warily as I approached my locker, taking my backpack off one shoulder. I'd gotten to school a little early today so I could keep my card in my locker until Biology, which was when I would put the card in Johnny's locker.

It was perfect. I'd wait until he left, put the poem in, and head straight to lunch after that. Johnny always grabbed his lunch from his locker before heading to the cafeteria, so it was guaranteed that he would see the card and meet me.

I was praying hard for him to return my feelings. I was so scared that he'd friendzone me and I'd feel embarrassed. He would probably let me down as easy as possible, but that wouldn't stop the pain from coming.

I looked around again before taking my card out and entering my locker combination. My nerves were on edge, and I was afraid he'd see the card before I could carry out the plan.

I fished my phone out of my pocket, deciding to text him and see if he was coming. That way I would be aware if he was in the school or not.

A bang against the locker next to me startled me. "Marissa!"

I screamed, dropping my phone and the card.

Johnny quickly caught the phone, raising his brows as he looked at my lock screen.

My eyes were wide as I subtly glanced at the floor. I quickly slid the card behind me with my foot, placing my backpack on top to hide it.

"Aww, you have anime pictures on here!" He showed me my embarrassing lock screen photo; a fan-made mosaic of all my favorite anime characters.

Which was made by me.

I glanced around me and reached for my phone. "Shut up! Give me that!"

"You don't have a password?" He unlocked my screen and looked at my home screen.

"Johnny! Give me my phone!"

"Aww! You got Disney characters on here!"

"Shut up and give me the phone!" I snatched my phone back, hearing his irritating laugh as I put it away.

He leaned against the lockers, chewing a piece of gum. "Was that Moana I saw on there?"

I huffed, glaring at him while opening my locker and getting my books.

"See the line where the sky meets the sea, it calls me..." Johnny placed his hand on his chest as he sang dramatically, earning curious glances.

"Shut up." I stuffed my books inside my bag. "Why do you have to be so annoying?"

"You kidding? It's fun! You always get so mad. I guess it's just part of my charm."

I glanced at him. "Your charm is being an annoying, arrogant blowhard?" I reorganized my locker, having made a mess in there over the past two months.

He laughed. "Admit it. You like when I annoy you."

I rolled my eyes. "That is a self-contradictory statement. How can somebody like when they're annoyed? That doesn't make sense."

I glanced down at my backpack, making sure my card was hidden.

"You have to be more open-minded, Marissa."

"Whatever." I closed my backpack. "Now are you going to leave, or are you going to continue annoying me?"

"I'd like the latter, but I've got class." He walked away. "See you later, Moana."

I opened my mouth to speak, but he'd disappeared into the crowd.

Of all times for him to annoy me... why did he do this?