Epilogue

Merry Christmas!

Dad apologized to me on the way home.

I was honestly surprised. I thought he'd be yelling at me for kissing Johnny, especially in front of hundreds of people. But after explaining everything, and telling them exactly what happened on the rink, Dad's eyes were somehow... opened. He apologized for making me believe that Johnny was nothing but a horny, devious, selfish jerk that used me.

They'd been pretty confused when the understudy just kissed me out of nowhere. From their seats, they didn't realize it was Johnny.

I had to say, Emmary, Felicia, Johnny's friends, and my ballet friends were the greatest friends ever. To think they took time to do all this for me, just to make me happy...

They were going to be bridesmaids and groomsmen at my wedding for sure.

Don't think so far ahead, Marissa! Geez! my mind shouted.

When we got home, Johnny and I reunited and our parents talked. Mom and Dad invited them all over for dinner. The entire time, I wore a beaming smile so strong that I was sure my cheeks were cherry red.

As we finished our meal, Gracie stood up and took a deep breath. "Excuse me, everyone."

We all turned our attention to her.

"Since Marissa and Johnny ended up... getting together today," she said, smiling at us and eyeing our intertwined fingers, "I'd like to do something for them. I've been waiting for this for a while. And Marissa," —she pointed at me— "you have to do my chores for two months, remember?"

I sighed, remembering our bet on New Year's Eve. "Yeah, I know." Everyone else chuckled.

"Okay. Wait here." She ran upstairs excitedly.

"Congratulations," said Brenda. "Just so you know, I was like... so uber-confused when you guys just kissed like that. You were all love-turned in front of, like, a thousand people! That was uber-awesome!"

Johnny and I glanced at each other. "Thank you, Brenda," I said.

Uber-awesome?

Stupid sixth grade girls.

"Okay!" Gracie came downstairs slowly with her guitar strapped around her. She held her songwriting book in her hand.

She pulled her chair from the table and left both the guitar and the book there before running back upstairs. She returned with the music book stand Dad bought her shortly after Christmas.

She panted, resting for a minute, before sitting down and putting the book on the stand. She turned to a page and positioned her guitar on her lap to tune it.

We all turned our chairs to fully face her. I smiled excitedly. She was going to sing for us?

"I wrote a song a couple months ago, when I started thinking Johnny and Marissa had a thing for each other. I... wanted to find the right time to sing it, and now seems like the perfect moment."

We all smiled and clapped for her. I cheered along with Brenda and Johnny.

Gracie cleared her throat, checking the guitar's tune, and took a deep breath. She closed her eyes for a moment before launching into her song.

"I don't want to admit that I love you...

But the truth is that I do...

I don't even have an answer...

To the feelings that I stir...

Her voice was sweet and soft, making my heart soar. Her fingers skillfully strummed the guitar strings.