38~ Conflicting Emotions

Happy Thanksgiving!

Johnny

I just screwed it up, didn't I?

"Stupid, stupid, stupid..." I slapped my forehead repeatedly, making people glance at me strangely.

I went over to the snack tables and poured myself a glass of fruit punch. I glanced at the bathrooms, where Marissa had gone. She still hadn't come out.

The slow song stopped, ending the dance, and a more upbeat one started. It was New Rules by Dua Lipa.

Well, we missed the rest of the slow dance. Just great.

I shouldn't have rushed her. I shouldn't have tried to kiss her. I should've let her finish what she was about to say. What if she wasn't going to tell me she liked me? What if she meant something else? I shouldn't have assumed.

Should've, shouldn't have, what if... there were a lot of those in my head now.

"Well, that was a disaster."

Clara came up to me, grabbing some orange soda.

"I don't want to talk about it, Clara," I said.

She gave me a look. "Not you, you idiot. I'm talking about my date. He literally stepped on my shoe and ruined it." She angled her foot to show me a scratch on her polished, white heel.

"Oh." I looked down sheepishly.

"What happened? Trouble in paradise?" She smirked slightly as she drank her soda.

"It's nothing."

"Oh, come on, since when do we keep secrets from each other?" She grinned flirtatiously.

"Since you spilled the last secret," I said.

"Johnny, get over that already." She put her cup down. "Listen, if she didn't accept a kiss from you, then it means she doesn't like you that way. Period."

"So you saw it?"

"Everything."

I sighed. "Look, it's none of your business." I crossed my arms and faced her. "I'd appreciate it if you didn't involve yourself anymore."

"I haven't been involving myself. For God's sake, Johnny, we haven't talked in like a month!"

"It's only been a few weeks."

"So? Johnny, I miss you. I miss talking to you. Can't we just forgive and forget?"

"Not with you. Every time I give you another chance, you find some way to ruin it." I glanced behind her, seeing Marissa creeping out of the bathrooms. "Excuse me."

Clara followed my gaze. Before I realized, she'd stopped me from leaving and grabbed my face, pulling it towards her and pressing her lips against mine. I was too shocked to pull away in time.

By the time I got my bearings and pushed her away, I saw Marissa heading to the door.

Oh, no.

~~~

Marissa

I had to go back out there. I couldn't spend the whole dance hiding in the girls' bathroom. I took a deep breath and made sure my hair was in place before unlocking the door and going out.

Some girls glared at me as they went into the bathroom, probably having been waiting to get in. They'd been knocking, and I'd stalled them long enough. I muttered a quick 'sorry' as I came out.