31 - Obtaining Courtesy Titles

On our walk from the dockyard to the inn, rather than satisfy my curiosity about pretty maids who were interested in boxing, Jules insisted I relay the details of my altercation with the foul-mannered man who supported Floyd, including the man's d...

On our walk from the dockyard to the inn, rather than satisfy my curiosity about pretty maids who were interested in boxing, Jules insisted I relay the details of my altercation with the foul-mannered man who supported Floyd, including the man's description. When he learned what he needed to know, he explained that Floyd was an arse, which extended to include most of his supporters.

Thankfully, we remained unmolested during our walk and arrived at the inn to find Anne busy with an incoming group of travelers. She offered us a kindly nod as we made our way discretely toward the staircase. Jules did not move with his usual ease, yet he did not seem bothered when I steadied him during our ascent. I appreciated that he allowed me the small gesture of kindness rather than giving in to his ego and refusing my help.

I had been afforded the same accommodations as I'd enjoyed previously, and I set him up comfortably on the settee, wheeling the serving cart over so he could help himself to the water pitcher.

"A fellow could get used to this. I hope you plan to attend my next match." He wore a hint of a smile, but the medical plaster below his lip made it difficult for him to follow through.

I let him have his fun as I sat in a chair opposite. "Would you like something stronger than water?"

"No. I have everything I need right here." The faint smile remained, and I wanted to capture the image of him just then. If only I had the means. "What prompted this surprise visit?"

I was fairly sure he had seen the news of my parentage. At the very least, someone had told him of the news. The discovery of illegitimate children to noble families always produced a source of gossip and speculation for a good while afterward. "So, you don't wish to guess why I might be visiting you? I did write you an earnest letter early in the week. Have you not yet received it?"

"I received it. And I was still working out what I might say in response."

Oh, dear. Was his mind so tortured that he could not express himself? This could be a troubling conversation, indeed.

"Well, I suppose, if you don't want to guess, I will tell you. I have been concerned about your feelings for me ever since our visit to the House of Oxford. To be more specific, I have been concerned about your commitment to us as a couple. This has caused me to see things from a different perspective. From your perspective. And I realized how painful it must be for you to wonder whether I am committed to us, as well. This is why I am here now ̶ to apologize for taking so long to come to this revelation."

He appeared non-plussed by my admission, but there may have been a slight lift of his bandaged brow. "I appreciate your forthright admission, but it comes as no surprise to me. I knew your empathetic nature would have you wrestling with the topic ever since you agreed to our courtship. The real question is how long were you going to drag it out before you realized it was not what you wanted."