3 - Finding the Smoking Pelican

~  Sunday April 4, 1813  ~

Five days had passed since Captain Boucetta and his crew were brought on board the Surety. Despite the so-called quarantine, I had managed daily visitations with the captain, who insisted I call him Duncan, under the watchful supervision of Matron Orwell and various lieutenants.

Although he was kind to me, the captain had proved a demanding patient, and he angered Matron Orwell right and proper after their first encounter. Following a private conversation I had with Lieutenant Colbert about my ability to put the restless captain at ease, he convinced Matron Orwell to allow me daily visitation if it would shut the heathen's filthy trap  ̶  her words.

Today was Sunday, so I followed my regular routine of attending church service in the small space afforded the few who appreciated the comforting verses of Reverend Baxter. While his sermons were dry and less relevant than those of my dear friend Reverend Lawtey, it was better than having nothing at all. Some of us needed reassurance that we were here for a higher purpose.

When I arrived in the infirmary, Captain Boucetta sat on the edge of his cot. He had regained his strength and now filled out his shirt quite nicely. He appeared to be waiting for me, given that he stood as soon as I walked in. "I have been given permission by my jailor to walk the deck for some fresh air."

"Your jailor?" I glanced at the lieutenant in charge  ̶  Davis I believe was his name, but Duncan jerked his thumb at Matron Orwell standing at the nurse's station counting vials. "Oh. Then we best hurry before she decides to give you another sleeping draught to shut you up."

I lowered my voice to keep the matron from overhearing, but Duncan let go a throaty laugh. "I do not know what I would do without you. I expect I would not have found my humour so soon."

We walked through the corridors with our lieutenant on our heels. The captain and his crew remained under constant supervision until their identities could be confirmed, which likely would not happen until we reached Europe again. The captain claimed they were privateers making their way to America to trade. Colonel Smith interpreted this as pirating, and he was not especially pleased that I was spending my idle time with a man who could turn out to be a murdering thief. I told the colonel that everyone deserved a chance to prove their worth. I received a laugh and a warning never to be left alone with the captain.

On deck, the sun felt hot on my neck as it neared the center of the sky, and we took up a position at the port side in the shade of the mainsail. The captain's demeanor improved significantly as he stood at the rail overlooking the sea, and I gave him ample time to go wherever his thoughts took him. After a few minutes, he shared some with me.

"I have a brother back home  ̶  Sami. He loves the sea."

I blinked at his revelation and waited patiently for him to reveal more. This was the first Duncan had spoken of his family. I certainly wasn't going to bring them up. One of the first lessons my tutor taught me was never to broach the topic of family with strangers. You never knew what kind of trouble it could stir up.