16 - Sampling the Sweeties

~ Sunday May 2, 1813 ~

I fretted all night about my trip to Chatham. Although my worries may have stemmed from the missive I'd received from Mister Merriweather. While I was pleased with the pay schedule he quoted, he asked that I make haste to provide him with a rough draft of my first story for The Dandy Gentleman's Periodical. So, it appeared a good deal of my time in Chatham would be spent writing and hoping Jules did not ask too many questions.

When the coach arrived, Jules was dressed in his military finery, and I found myself staring as he helped me inside, although he had his say first. "You look very fine today, Mistress Hayes. As you do every time I see you."

"Thank you, Captain. You look dashing as well."

"It's a lovely Sunday, is it not?" He gestured out the carriage window as the coachman pulled into the street. While soot stained the buildings, as well as many of the people, they were not drenched by rain, which made it lovely. "I hope you aren't terribly disappointed not to see your reverend today."

"I do miss his sermons, but I sent off a missive to explain my continued absence."

He seemed to consider something before adding, "Have you divulged the details of your continued absence? That is, have you told him of our courtship?"

"Yes. It was not how I wished to manage it, but I felt it was better for him to hear it from me and not a member of his parish. I appear to be managing things a bit differently these days."

"Does that bother you?"

"I am not averse to making adjustments where they are needed. Have you heard from Alice since she left for her holiday with the Countess of Oxford?"

I knew he would recognize the abrupt change of topic, and he smiled as he obliged. "No, but they only left on Friday."

"I hope the countess is being kind to her. When someone suffers from unstable emotions, the ones closest to them often suffer along with them."

He lifted a brow. "Words of wisdom from the earl, I suppose."

"Not the earl. There are many texts written on the subject."

"Hmm." He grunted and left the topic alone. It was this sensibility that I appreciated about him. "Speaking of texts, did you bring the novel I bought for you? There may be long periods when I will be unavailable. I admit, I am a bit worried about you becoming bored."

I immediately thought of the task Mister Merriweather had given me. "I can always find ways to entertain myself. But yes, I brought the book. I look forward to reading it."

Our journey through the English countryside progressed in a similar fashion, with our conversations remaining stimulating but genial, gaining momentum when something of interest appeared outside the window. Upon our arrival, the carriage brought us to the Rose and Water Inn. I knew Jules had chosen a guest house of some repute, and the gardens fronting the establishment did not disappoint. Spring was in full bloom in Chatham, and I made no attempt to withhold my fascination as we walked the path crowded with flowers.