30 - Battling Men with Foul Manners

I really did not care how many feathers I ruffled by leaving London so abruptly

I really did not care how many feathers I ruffled by leaving London so abruptly. The missives could wait. With The Times article broadcasting my exposé, and the London Chronicle close on its heels, there was nothing I could say that my friends didn't already know. I just hoped to arrive in Chatham ahead of the news.

During my journey, I read Jane Austen's work by the light streaming in through the carriage window, filling my head with thoughts of romance. And when the sky had grown too dark to read by, I rested until the coachman pulled the horses up to the Rose and Water Inn. With luck, Anne would have a room available for me. Funnily enough, Anne rushed out to greet me before I had even stepped out of the carriage.

"Mistress Hayes! What a lovely surprise!"

"Hello, Anne. I apologize for my impromptu arrival. I had an urge to visit Chatham and flagged down the first carriage I could find."

"Isn't that nice. I will see that you get the best room we have available."

"Please, don't fuss. I am sure all your rooms are exceptional."

Wearing a smile that must have put her muscles to the test, Anne ushered me inside and sat me down with a cup of tea. I passed on the offer of port, as I needed my wits when I spoke with Jules. When Anne returned with my room key, she sat down next to me.

"So, how was your journey?" she asked.

"Pleasant and uneventful."

"Good."

"And how is your health?"

"As well as it can be."

"Good. Good. Have you been in communication with General Hayes since your last visit?"

"I have. He sent a missive to let me know he received my letter of apology."

"Ah." She bobbed her head liberally, likely waiting for me to say more. Clearly, she was digging for something. Perhaps confirmation about the dreadful chat I'd had with the general on my last visit. Had she run out of bits to share with her neighbors? "Would you care for a tea cake?"

"I'm fine with tea, for now. I plan to visit the barracks shortly and pay a surprise visit to Jules."

She appeared taken aback, and her mouth formed a perfect circle. "Were you not aware? The captain is engaging in a boxing match this evening at the dockside arena. There is limited viewing for spectators."

"Oh, dear. I was not aware. Is there anyone I can speak with who might squeeze me in? His trainer, perhaps? Captain Forsythe and I are acquainted."

"I expect he's down at the dockyard with your captain. The event should be starting at nightfall, which is about now."

My excitement fell like a downed pheasant, and I blew air over my teacup. This was not going the way I had planned.

"Perhaps my son, Rory, could accompany you. He is well liked around the barracks. He could squeeze you in and provide you some protection to boot."