10 - Dining and Divulging

Knowing Jules's planned to announce our courtship, I did not insist on having the carriage take me round my home before we arrived at the Thompson residence

Knowing Jules's planned to announce our courtship, I did not insist on having the carriage take me round my home before we arrived at the Thompson residence. While I was eager to see my staff, I was not so eager to tell them of my decision to accept Jules's offer. There were endless details to work out, which had my stomach in knots by the time we pulled in front of the Thompson's walk.

What was worse, Jules had not taken his eyes off the pendant that I held inside my gloved hand. Fortunately, he didn't probe me for answers in the company of his family. But I knew it was coming, and the greeting I received from the Thompson's houseman was a welcome reprieve from Jules's silent scrutiny.

"Mistress Hayes, you are a sight for this old man's sore eyes."

"Come now, Carter. You are not an old man. Besides, I have heard that we grow better as we age."

"I believe you are speaking of brandy, but I will take the compliment just the same." He turned his smile on Jules as he reached out a ready hand. "It is wonderful to see home in one piece, Captain Thompson. I am glad this tour did not keep you away so long."

"Oh, I am sure you rarely notice I'm missing." Jules gave Carter a friendly back slap, which he offered with the vigor of a man who enjoyed the sport of boxing. Carter skillfully managed the gesture without coughing.

We were all sat in the sitting room, and a tray of afternoon tea and brandy was wheeled out. It had been an age since I enjoyed a good cup of tea, and that first sip felt like heaven had opened up to spill its sweetness upon us.

"So, son. Why don't you begin by breaking the suspense and making your announcement." The admiral was handed a generous pour of Brandy by his houseman and reclined comfortably in his wingback. "I have completely run out of speculations at this point." He tipped his glass to his lips while offering me a sidelong glance. I knew the admiral to be a clever man. Had he already worked things out for himself?

"Very well." Jules made his family wait while Carter poured his brandy. Once his glass was in hand, he followed his father's manner, reclining into his chair and taking a long, relaxing draw off the liquid.

"Oh, really Jules. Must you always be such a tease," Alice said.

"Can't a man enjoy his first taste of brandy after being at sea for three months?" He smiled over his glass, looking pleased with himself. When his gaze landed on me, I felt the weight of it. Something akin to a bushel of potatoes being dropped on my chest. Did he do these things on purpose? "Rose and I have had an opportunity to secure our relationship further while at sea together, and we have come to the conclusion that it would benefit us both to begin a formal courtship."

"Eek! I knew it!" Alice immediately threw her arms around me and squeezed my middle until I felt a seam pop. "I am so happy right now I just can't tell you with words."

"You're doing just fine showing me." I hugged her back, and we both giggled a bit.

"Well, this is fine news. I believe a toast is in order." The admiral raised his glass, to which each of us did the same. I could not help feeling my decision to see this thing through with Jules was the right one, especially whenever our eyes met and the most delightful flutter erupted behind my ribs, when it wasn't clobbering me like a sack of potatoes. I was beginning to understand why so many people fell prey to matrimony.