21 - Conversing with the Countess

~ Saturday May 8, 1813 ~

I awoke to the sound of barking dogs and realized I was not at home but in the guest chambers of the House of Oxford. I blinked at the delicately woven pattern of lace that made up the canopy above my head, a pattern favored by the lady of the estate, and my stomach seized at the thought of meeting Countess Kingsley.

The late hour of our arrival last evening had spared me what I feared to be an awkward greeting, but the countess had already retired. It was silly, really, that I should be so nervous about meeting the wife of a benefactor. Now ex-benefactor. I had never been ashamed of my profession. It was a long-established vocation and well-regarded by many. But I knew that was not the reason for my discomfort.

I stood from bed and managed my morning ritual as my mind plagued me with the true reason. Since the passing of her brother, Countess Kingsley suffered from severe depression. When I first made the earl's acquaintance, I thought I might befriend the countess and help her overcome these difficulties. But, since then, the earl became quite enamored with me, and I felt sure his wife knew of this profound attachment. Now, I feared that door had shut and bolted tight, and behind it stood a lonely woman who felt betrayed.

After dressing, I stood at the window facing the rear gardens and watched the dogs at play. I had met the pair, Brutus and Baby, on my first visit to the grand manor, and found them to be rather rambunctious for purebred canines. But I also learned that the earl and his sons enjoyed similar upbringings.

A knock roused me from the activities outside, and Alice called to me from the hall. "Rose, are you awake? I thought we could walk down to breakfast together."

Grateful for her company, I answered the door wearing a happy smile. "I am so glad you came to collect me. I cannot think of a better companion to accompany me to breakfast."

She took my hand and gave it a squeeze. "That's funny. I was just thinking the same thing about you. I am excited for you to meet the countess. I believe you two will get on wonderfully."

While I appreciated her positive outlook, I could not whole-heartedly agree. When we arrived downstairs, most of the household had already been seated, but Alice did not dally in front of her chair. She walked me straight up to the countess and introduced us.

"Rose, I would like to introduce you to Countess Mary Kingsley. Countess, this is my dearest friend, Mistress Rosalind Hayes."

"It is a great pleasure to meet you, Countess. I have been eager to make your acquaintance." I offered a curtsy and received a gracious smile in return.

"As have I. Alice talked quite a lot about you during our holiday. I feel as if I am meeting royalty."

Heat rushed to my face at her unexpected compliment, and I found myself curtsying again. "You are most kind, your grace."