22 - Minding a Drunken Sot

Had I known the sort of predicament I would be in when dinner hour arrived, I would not have wasted my anxiety on meeting the countess

Had I known the sort of predicament I would be in when dinner hour arrived, I would not have wasted my anxiety on meeting the countess. This feeling far surpassed the one that plagued me when I awoke, and it only grew when Jules diverted us to the recreation room for another glass of brandy before continuing to the dining hall.

Surrounded by no less than fifteen members of the noble court, when we took our seats, I snatched a goblet of port for myself as a servant passed by. Alice arrived in a tasteful gown boasting two shades of blue with silver embellishments, commanding the attention of everyone in attendance. Based on the countess's complimentary reaction, I deduced the dress was purchased while they were on holiday together. If nothing else, Alice appeared to have won the admiration of her future family.

By the time the earl stood to make the first toast, Jules had finished his brandy and was taking command of a goblet of port. I made every attempt not to watch him.

"Thank you all for joining us tonight in honor of my son, Albert Edmund Kingsley, and his betrothed, Alice Ada Thompson. Some of you have traveled a long distance on short notice. Mary and I are grateful you considered this union of significance, as do we. The freedoms of our country are being threatened. We need our future leaders to manage their responsibilities like the soldiers that fight on our fronts – powerful, reliable. I believe Albert is well on his way to earning his right as a lord, and Alice will provide a bright, supportive accompaniment."

A round of "Here. Here," rang around the table as goblets were raised. Despite myself, I glanced at Jules, who used the toast as an excuse to finish his port and hail down a servant for another.

An older gentleman dressed in his royal regalia cleared his throat and stood. His wide-set eyes and ring of grey hair circling his head held a certain familiarity, but I had met a good many noblemen. Apparently, he wished to propose another toast. But when the earl's lips drew into a scowl, I wondered if I had gotten it wrong.

"If I might pose an alternate theory, William. You claim to be concerned with securing a powerful, reliable bond for your aristocratic line, then wouldn't a union between two nobles be more appropriate?"

Someone coughed, and all eyes turned to watch Jules sputter port down the front of his military jacket. Not far down the table, Admiral Thompson glared at the man who had spoken out against the union.

"We are living in progressive times, James," the earl argued politely. "The health of a noble marriage plays a vital role in a nobleman's ability to lead his citizens confidently and manage his affairs without distraction. Let us enjoy our meal. We can retire to my study later and discuss your concerns over an aperitif."

"Do you wish to secret me away because you're worried there are others here who came not out of solidarity, but to voice their opposition?"

The earl glanced around the table at the large gathering of well-dressed friends and relatives. How many did he believe had similar oppositions as this James fellow? "I welcome all concerns, should such a discussion put minds at ease. However, I am sure our stomachs would be grateful if we took in nourishment before putting our brains to task."