23 - Swaying Stubborn Monarchs

Prior to mounting our attack on the Duke of Devonshire, Alice and I secured permission from her father, which came once the earl gave the admiral his assurance that the estate's most skilled guards would keep a covert eye on the situation

Prior to mounting our attack on the Duke of Devonshire, Alice and I secured permission from her father, which came once the earl gave the admiral his assurance that the estate's most skilled guards would keep a covert eye on the situation. Then, after Albert counseled us on which horses were likely to enjoy our company, Alice and I detoured into the kitchen to gather more ammunition.

"Why are we in the kitchen, Rose?" Alice asked. "I am not quite sure what you're up to."

"If the duke has made for the stable, we might get him talking if we look like we are there to feed the horses treats." I spoke as a helpful kitchen maid filled a basket with carrot tops.

"I have not spent much time around horses. Only the ones attached to carriages. I am worried I will be too nervous to be of any help with the duke."

"Just be yourself, Alice. Your inquisitive, clever self."

The purple dusk had given way to navy blue when we set off for the stable, but our path was well-worn and marked with lamplight every few meters – the advantage of living in a noble manor. Through the stable door, a lantern offered its own form of light, telling us that someone other than horses was about. And when we arrived, I caught a powerful whiff of pipe tobacco.

As we dusted off our slippers, I glanced around. The stable held an impressive number of equine specimens, with stalls reaching deeper than the lamp could manage. I made eye contact with a grey mare, remembering what Albert had said about her unpredictable temperament. But the fellow across from her, Chesterfield, appeared eager for a handout as he stretched his neck over the gate.

"Hello, Chesterfield. Aren't you a handsome boy? Would you like a treat?" I dug into the basket and held out a clump of greens as I nudged Alice forward.

The horse snorted happily as he nibbled off my palm. This had Alice giggling. "His eyes are much larger than I expected. I am so used to seeing them behind blinders."

"Did you know that a horse has far greater peripheral vision than we do? It's due to their eyes being set on either side of the head."

"It makes sense why they would need the blinders then. Mother said they would become spooked too easily otherwise."

"Precisely. Would you like to feed him? You just open your palm, and he will use his lips to pick up the treats."

"I don't know. What would Albert say if I returned with one less finger?"

I offered Chesterfield another helping, giving Alice a good view of the process. "Albert assured us this fellow was a gentleman. See. He doesn't use his teeth at all."

I gestured to Alice's gloved hand, and she sucked in a breath as she held out her palm. Equipped with her carrot tops, and with eyes as round as Chesterfield's, she stepped tentatively up to the gate and allowed him to nibble the treats.