15 - Making Uncertain Acquaintances

~ Friday April 30, 1813 ~

Friday arrived and I had packed a full trunk for my holiday in Chatham. With most of Saturday promised to Jules and our picnic with the Saxton family, I wanted to be prepared for our departure well in advance. I was still in a quandary, however, about what to wear to Mistress Ziani's home when I made introductions between her and Mister Morrisey.

More specifically, I pondered whether or not I should wear the pendant Captain Boucetta had gifted me. The ruby, or whatever gem it might be, looked stunning against the gold trim on my dress. Was it too grand for the circumstance? Odette had always been impressed by extravagance.

As I stood in front of the looking glass admiring the piece, Tilda arrived with my leather slippers, which she had freshened for the occasion. Her eyes rounded when she noticed the pendant, now fastened around my neck with a ribbon.

"Mistress Hayes, what a lovely piece. Did your captain gift that to you?"

"Not my captain, but a captain I met while we were aboard the Surety. He offered it in return for my kindness and company."

"I don't recall another captain during your retelling of the journey. Surely, he had made an impression on you as well."

I knew she was fishing for details about Captain Boucetta. She likely wondered if any trouble came of my relationship with him. Exactly why I had left him out of my stories. "He did. And we parted ways when we made port in London. Perhaps we will see each other again, and perhaps we won't."

I raised my brows, knowing she would understand the gesture. "I am currently undecided whether I should wear the piece to Mistress Ziani's residence. She has always flaunted her finery, so I do not doubt she would be impressed. But I have never tried to put on airs as she does. I fear this may not be the right occasion."

"If I had been gifted such a stunning item, I would never take it off." Tilda smiled as she set the slippers on the floor next to me. "You are engaging in important matters involving a cherished benefactor. I believe you have chosen the proper attire to have your...points received from a...position of authority."

I knew she had worked hard to manage her lovely speech, and I rewarded her with an agreeable smile and nod. "You have convinced me quite thoroughly, Tilda. What would I do without your thoughtful insight?"

Her humble response came in the form of a blush that coloured her face like a doll under a painter's brush. "Everything I know I have learnt from you, Mistress."

Mister Morrisey dressed like a man out to impress nobility when he arrived at my door, and he chose his finest carriage to carry us to our destination. He appeared equally enchanted by the pendant, and we spent much of our journey in conversation about my adventures at sea. Something we had little chance to do on our previous visit.

When we pulled through the circle drive of Mistress Ziani's manor house, he seemed to remember our purpose, gazing out of the coach window as he hurried to query me about the woman he was to meet.