26 - Searching for a Nobleman

~ Tuesday May 11, 1813 ~

The image of an imposing castle faded as I opened my eyes. I had been wandering the baroque gardens, concerned that I had not worn proper footwear and my slippers had become muddy. This could pose a problem if I wished to present myself to the owner of the castle and be welcomed inside.

The dream stayed with me as I prepared for the day. I knew it stemmed from my worry about this earl I might or might not be related to. Before heading down for breakfast, I made the decision to tell the duke about General Hayes's revelation. Like the reverend, he often provided points of view I had previously overlooked.

When I arrived at the table however, the duke was not there. Clara served my scones and tea, and I enquired about him. "Has the duke not woken yet?"

"You just missed him, Mistress. He had an early appointment and sends his regrets for not attending you at breakfast."

"Oh. Well, I suppose I will see him at dinner."

"I am sorry. He said not to expect him for dinner, either. He has a number of engagements today."

I nodded, feeling a sting of disappointment. Surely, the duke knew of this earl and could arrange an introduction. Of course, I was perfectly capable of managing the problem on my own. I knew a number of noblemen who could facilitate a meeting, one who resided at Saint James Palace. The question remained; how eager was I to learn about this potential relationship? How much would it change my life and my future with Jules? If Alice's predicament with the Duke of Devonshire provided any insight, it could cause a real quandary.

I decided a walk was needed to clear my head. On a whim, I slipped on the pendant given to me by Captain Boucetta. It had a funny way of improving my mood. After determining I would not need a rain bonnet, I grabbed my parasol and set out for Hyde Park.

As it turned out, a number of lovers chose to stroll the grounds at the very same time, reminding me of the strange disposition Jules had left in. My head soon filled with more worries than it started with. How was I to function properly with so many uncertainties plaguing me?

Knowing the House of Commons was in session, I hailed a carriage and directed the coachman to deliver me to the Palace of Westminster. Perhaps my own reputation would be enough to allow me through the door to make an inquiry about this earl.

Having not had the pleasure of standing on the steps of Parliament, one of the most powerful governments in Europe, I exited the carriage in a slightly bewildered state. I remained there a few moments, watching people come and go and taking in the significance of my mission. Nary a year ago, the former prime minister had been assassinated. So, I was not surprised to find a pair of guards standing on either side of the entrance. With luck, they would not question the intentions of a properly dressed woman entering of her own accord.