37 - Celebrating Unions of One Sort or Another

~ Friday June 25, 1813 ~

The wedding day had arrived, and I awoke with a nervous stomach. While it wasn't my wedding day, I felt anxious for my dear friend, Alice. She had endured a great deal of adversity to earn her position at the alter with her true love. For his part, Albert also fought valiantly to secure her place beside him at the House of Oxford. They were an endearing pair.

As for me, there was still a good deal to manage with regards to my noble family. Specifically, my paternal grandmother seemed determined to make as much trouble as an ancient widow could. More and more, I felt she and General Hayes might have been cut from the same cloth. Still, my father felt confident I would find my place among the Erskine clan, and it was with this thought in mind that I prepared for the morning ceremony.

A serving cart filled with fresh fruit and perfectly prepared duck eggs arrived at my room as I brushed the static out of my hair. It was a dry June, and I had been relying on clips to keep myself looking tidy. The dress I chose for the occasion boasted the most luxuriant shade of robin's egg blue. Alice had finally decided on ivory and goldenrod for her wedding gown, and she felt sure our dresses would compliment each other whenever we stood together.

When I finished dressing, I sat at the window and watched the servants prepare the rear gardens for the ceremony. Albert had asked that they be married overlooking his family's lake rather than in the church. He had never enjoyed attending, and Alice easily made the concession, knowing that a church was not required to have their wedding blessed properly.

I wondered how Alice was coming along this morning. I knew that Cicily and the countess wished to attend her as she prepared for her special day. Although Alice had insisted I join them, I felt it was important for the women to have time to solidify their family bond.

"Rose? Are you alright in there?" It was Jules, using his curious but concerned voice.

"Of course. Is everything alright out there?"

"Yes. Erm...are you going to keep us talking through the door?"

I giggled as I walked across the room. Although giggling was not usually something I indulged in, today felt like the perfect day to do it, and I opened the door wearing a silly smile. Jules had dressed in his military uniform, wearing every medal he had earned over his celebrated career as a navy soldier. It was one of my favorite looks for him.

"Don't you look handsome."

Jules appeared momentarily stunned, as if someone had stuck him with a fireplace poker, and he made no move to enter the room. "Is that a new dress? I don't believe I have seen you wear it."

"Alice chose it and had it sent to me by bellman. Funnily enough, it needed no alterations. She knows me so well."

"Indeed. I hope you don't distract the guests from focusing on Alice. She may have done herself a disservice."