9 - Agreeing to Potential Futures

~ Wednesday April 21, 1813 ~

Two fortnights came and went, and my adventure on the HMHS Surety neared its end. While I did look forward to seeing my dear friends in London, I had forged many new friendships aboard the ship, and this meant difficult goodbyes were inevitable.

With many of the men healed from their injuries and illnesses, there was much comradery above and below deck. Colonel Smith put the soldiers through their paces, claiming they would be no good to anyone with their backsides lying in a cot. I particularly enjoyed watching my female counterpart best the men at a knot-tying contest.

I had spent a goodly amount of time with Captain Thompson during his recovery. However, our interactions grew less once he had been assigned a bunk in the officer's barracks. The topic of our uncertain courtship had been left out of conversations, perhaps as a way to keep them civil, and Jules seemed determined not to complain about my visits with Captain Boucetta. Whether these were purposeful or not, I could only speculate. I had known Jules to behave both wittingly and childishly.

On a particularly pleasant evening, I found myself in the company of Captain Thompson on the bow of the ship. He had made a request that we discuss something of import, and I feared it was in regard to the HMS Shannon, which was sailing toward the Surety on its way to America. A dispatch vessel had delivered a message that the Shannon would be picking up any soldiers who were ready to return to the war.

"Are you anxious to reach home?" he asked, as we discussed the topic of the spring weather in London.

"I am. I even miss the smell, although I expect it is just the familiarity I miss."

"Aye. I am sure your staff is eager for your return."

"I expect they are. I also look forward to visiting with your father and Alice. After two months' time, I expect there is much to catch up on with regards to her courtship with Lord Kingsley."

"If there is still a courtship. We don't know if the rascal has behaved poorly."

"For Alice's sake, let us hope he has seen the benefits of behaving like a respectable lord."

"How would that go, exactly? I do not believe I've ever known a noble to behave respectably."

"Oh, Captain. We all have our flaws. Even royalty."

"Especially royalty."

I waited for him to speak disparagingly about my noble benefactors, but he spent the next few moments in silent contemplation. Then... "The Shannon will be upon us by the morrow. I thought we might discuss it."

Despite my expectations that the Shannon would become a topic, I could not quell the nervous roll in my gut, which had nothing to do with the waves beneath the hull. "I anticipated we might have this conversation. Given your physical recovery, I expect you're considering joining your comrades who wish to sail back to war."