32 - Making Proposals Official

~ Sunday May 15 1813 ~

Alice arrived shortly after breakfast to discuss my wedding plans. If there was anyone who could have lifted my spirits higher, I could not think of one. We decided the ceremony should be held the third weekend in July. This would give her and Albert enough time to finish their honeymoon, which included a ten day tour of England to visit extended relatives and friends who would not be attending their wedding.

"Personally, I would rather spend my honeymoon in Asia," she said as we made notes in my journal. "But Albert has promised we will have a better time of it if we travel with the Duke of Norfolk."

"Oh, yes. Philip has been to Asia many times, and he knows all the best places."

"You and Jules should join us when we go. Wouldn't that be splendid!"

"I will take it up with Jules and see what he thinks. I expect my father will want to have a say in things as well."

Alice giggled. "Is it strange to say father?"

"Yes. Quite strange, but in a good way. He seems pleased we have found each other. I just hope the rest of his family feels the same."

"Oh, they will love you, Rose. How could they not."

Our merriment continued until Jules arrived to take me to dinner at McCaffrey's. He was insistent that we enjoy dinner out, and our table had been set in a very festive manner when we arrived, with fresh cut flowers in a crystal vase and a bottle of fine wine placed between silver goblets.

"What a lovely table setting," I said. "I feel like it should be a special occasion."

The host shared a knowing look with Jules, and my curiosity piqued. We were seated, and the host poured out the wine. Then he bid us a memorable meal.

"How was your morning with Alice?" Jules asked as he sipped from his goblet. "I don't think she had a wink of sleep last night after I told her we had set a wedding date."

"She and I had a brilliant time making plans. Nothing too extravagant, of course. I don't need to be fussed over."

"Well, your father might have different ideas about that. You are his sole legacy. Have you sent him a missive to let him know?"

"Not yet, but I will do that when I return home from this lovely dinner. I will also submit the date to the newspaper." A sudden rush of adrenaline spiked through my limbs. I was going to be a bride. "Speaking of events, I have been meaning to ask if you would like to attend a gala at the Algerian embassy. Odette Ziani has invited me, and I thought it would be appropriate to have you as my escort, given that we are affianced."

"This is a courtesan friend of yours?"

"Yes. She is Algerian by birth, and she celebrates Eid al-Fitr. There will be music, food and dance. Please, say you will."