Chapter 46: Combustion Man

"It's about time I got a bath. All that black clothing make sure you constantly sweaty." Y/N sighed contentedly, floating in the water. They had set up camp in a secluded area, right next to a lake. Despite it being dark already, the group was taking the time to swim a little bit, Sokka getting a fire going.

          "I don't need a bath, I'm fine." Toph waved off Katara, who had commented on her smell. Y/N laughed, dunking herself underwater for a moment before surfacing, splashing Toph. 

          "If you won't take a bath, at least come in her and fight me." She challenged, and Toph was up in a moment, taking off most of her outer garments and plunging into the water, all three girls wearing the white cropped shirt and shorts that the Fire Nation clothing had as underclothes. 

          "Thank you." Katara mouthed to Y/N, who smiled, but yelled in momentary panic as Toph got out, made herself an elevated platform, and jumped off, curling into a ball and surrounding herself in rock.

          "Cannonball!" Toph screamed, her voice muffled by the rock shell around her, and everyone screamed in response, laughing as they tried to stumble away from the huge tidal wave caused by her hitting the water. Y/N let the wave wash over her, sending her swirling through the dark water. 

          She quickly scooped up Toph, getting her back on shore before she began to panic. She could really appreciate how much Toph trusted the group now, being willing to jump into a deep body of water, knowing she can't swim, but that her friends would pull her out quickly.

          Only, the consequences were Sokka and his tiny fire being washed away, and a soaked flying bison, and Toph didn't look like she was anywhere close to done, quickly getting up and on top of her pillar, ready to jump again.

          Y/N braced herself, laughing, as Toph readied herself, but she stopped, listening.

          "A metal man is coming." She warned quickly. "Everyone-"

          Y/N didn't hear the rest, getting thrown from the water as a huge explosion rang in her ears. She flew several feet before hitting the water again, the breath knocked out of her. She broke the surface, gasping for air, and looking around to find the threat.

          She spotted him, standing at the top of one of the cliffs surrounding the lake. An enormous man with a strange tattoo of an eye on his forehead. Rays suddenly shot from the eye, hitting the beach, causing another devastating explosion that threw Toph into the water.

          Y/N quickly swam to her rescue, scooping her up and stumbling onto the beach, running behind a large rock for cover, where the others already crouched. 

          "Aang! Katara! Come on!" Y/N yelled over the crumbling rocks and tormented waves caused by the explosions. They both nodded, all three bringing up as much water from the lake as possible, and throwing it up at their attacker. 

          Another explosion rang through her ears, and Y/N was flying again, hitting a rock and crumpling to the ground. Her back hurt from the impact, and the breath was knocked out of her. All she could register was steam, and water raining everywhere. 

          "Come on- are you alright? We have to get out of here." Katara was grabbing her arm and hoisting her up, dragging her towards Appa. The bison lifted off the moment Y/N was on, soaring away from the strange man.

          "That was random." Toph commented. "Who was that? Is Y-F/N okay?" Y/N found it funny that everyone in the group had pretty much gotten the fake name down except her. She was still accidentally calling her Y/N, but she was catching herself now.

          "Yea, just a little dazed and winded. Looks like everyone else is fine, though." She reassured, wiping the dust from her eyes. 

          "If people keep finding us like this, F/N can't take off her disguise as much, unless we are certain she has privacy." Katara worried. "Keep this up, and everyone will know F/N doesn't exist." Y/N nodded.

          "This is becoming really dangerous, fast. For once, Katara is right. I think I have to play the part, even around you guys. We never know who could be listening. How about we have a code word for when it's completely safe for me to be Y/N?" Y/N offered. 

          "Cactus juice." Sokka said immediately, and Y/N laughed, clapping her hands before anyone could object.

          "Cactus juice it is. Otherwise, you are talking to F/N, alright?"

          "You're gonna have to be colder and a lot less nice, Steady Flow, can you do that?"

          "Heh, I'm sure I'll manage, Toph."

          "This'll be fun. Secret assassin sister, I wanna see how long it takes to break character without the code word."

          "Sokka, this is serious! Don't try to make anything worse!"

                              —| § § |—

         "F/N, do something, won't you?" Katara complained. F/N looked up at her, then to Toph and the boys, comparing loots.

          "You think they're going to stop after three days of scamming people? We're getting the supplies we need, and I don't see how this is my problem." She responded, and Katara threw up her hands, muttering to herself. 

          "It'll be my problem when Aang is in trouble." She called as Katara walked off to try yelling at them again.

          She was getting good at using her new space weapons, but F/N noticed she was starting to lose Y/N to the act a little bit. She tried toning it down, but the times where people said "cactus juice" were getting few and far between. The group was just getting used to F/N, on purpose. They would get Y/N back after the war— when the invasion happened and they could go home.

          Y/N would be back soon. 

          Right?

                              —| § § |—

          "Okay, see this is where it's my problem." F/N muttered to herself. The strange man was back, and Toph and Katara were in a wooden cage. There was only so much she could do to defend Aang, as none of them had a huge advantage against huge explosions. 

          "Sokka!" Y/N grabbed him, rolling out of the way before he could get hit by a ray from the man's tattoo. He aimed at both of them, now on the ground, and Y/N knew no amount of water or knives was going to block the attack.

          The last thing she was aware of was the rock wall, Toph yelling, and debris flying everywhere, before Katara grabbed both of them, hoisting them up, and pulling them along as the group ran. 

          "Combustion Man strikes again." Sokka breathed, running as fast as he could through the streets as an explosion lit up the air around the strange man. 

          "Combustion Man?" Katara asked. "Seriously?"

          "Do you have any other name for him?"

          Merry Christmas, everyone! Wrote several chapters as a present for you all. Thanks for sticking around, this is a little lull in the drama, as Zuko isn't around, but, as you know, he's coming back. Soon. Drama can still ensue without him, though.

                    Here we go...